The Future Talent Program features internships that lasts up to 12 weeks and will include one or more projects. These opportunities in our Research Labs can provide you with great development and a chance to see if we are the right company for your long-term goals.
Our Research & Development Division's Analytical Research and Development department in Rahway, NJ, Kenilworth, NJ, West Point, PA, Boston, MA, and South San Francisco, CA are seeking summer interns who will work collaboratively in a team environment at our state-of-the-art laboratories to develop novel analytical methodologies. Day-to-day research for the intern will focus on solving key challenges in product and process characterization.
The summer interns will be exposed to:
- Core instrumentation critical for modern analysis of small molecules, biologics and/or vaccines, for manufacturing process characterization, and for determination of drug substance physical attributes.
- Fundamentals of analytical and physical chemistry method development necessary to solve problems as a member of an integrated team in support of the small and large molecule pipeline at our company.
- The Analytical Research & Development Department will expose the intern to various expert groups in the areas of screening and high-throughput analysis, molecular and materials characterization, structural elucidation including high end mass spectrometry and NMR techniques, separation-based techniques, immunoassays, cell-based assays, labeled-compound analyses, and trace metals analyses, further broadening their experience.
The interns in Analytical R&D will also participate in departmental and project team meetings to provide a broad perspective on the drug development process in the pharmaceutical industry. The interns will be responsible for accurate electronic notebook recording of experimental details and for analysis and interpretation of data that may be used for internal or external scientific publications which may follow from the internship. Interns will have the opportunity to gain further knowledge and skill sets via refinement of laboratory skills, introduction to new analytical techniques, exposure to current challenges in analytical research, and perspective on the practical aspects of drug development. In addition, the intern student will have an opportunity to present their research results in both oral and written formats.
We are seeking intern candidates at all levels with strong academic performance, communication skills, teamwork, and the ability to work in a multi- functional environment.
Required Education and Skills:
- Candidates must be a currently enrolled student pursuing a minimum of a bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Biology (e.g. Cell Biology, Virology), Biochemistry, Chemical/Biological Engineering, Materials Science, Pharmaceutical Science or a related discipline.
- Candidates must be available to work full-time for up to (12) consecutive weeks beginning in May or June of 2021.
- Candidates must have completed at least (2) years of studies toward bachelor’s degree by June 2021.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Candidates should have significant interest in analytical sciences for small molecules, vaccines, and/or biologics.
- Candidates should have basic laboratory skills and research experience, such as: lab notebook recording, use of analytical instrumentation, analysis and interpretation of data, and safe lab practices.
- Candidates should have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Intern/Co-op (Fixed Term)
No Travel Required
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: