Advanced Practice Nurse (Nurse Anesthetist) Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM), Washington
Located in the beautiful Pacific Northwest on the Puget Sound, in Washington State, Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) is near the city of Lakewood, 10 minutes from Tacoma and 20 minutes from Olympia, the state capitol. JBLM is situated in a key location along Interstate 5, allowing easy access to Sea-Tac Airport and to the deep-water ports of Tacoma and Seattle. Although the Army and Air Force missions have changed over the years, one thing has not changed-the natural setting of the base. Majestic Mount Rainier looms on the horizon, towering over the other peaks of the Cascade Range. From the mountains to the deep waters of Puget Sound and the Pacific Ocean, the local areas abound in natural beauty and outdoor recreation opportunities. Camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, boating and now sports are a way of life in Washington State.
Working for the Department of Defense comes with an abundance of benefits and perks to include competitive compensation packages, paid-time off, medical benefits, student loan repayments, and retirement package with Thrift Savings Plan to include matching employer contributions. For more information, please visit the following link: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/benefits/
- Anesthetize patients for a broad range of surgeries.
- Determine appropriate techniques, drugs, and equipment for use in the administration of anesthesia to all patients undergoing any and all forms of surgical and/or diagnostic procedures.
- Administer anesthesia by various routes including inhalation, endotracheal intubation, intravenous, hypobaric/hyperbaric subarachnoid block, axillary block, trans-tracheal/superior laryngeal block, topical application, etc.
- Observe the patient during surgery for signs to accomplish and maintain the proper stage of anesthesia and to prevent overdose.
- Routinely administer, manage, evaluate and reports action of new anesthetic agents and drugs as well as experimental drugs.
- Participate and cooperate with the anesthesia quality assurance committee to maintain and/or improve quality of care within the Department of Anesthesia.
PERFORMS OTHER DUTIES AS NEEDED.
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- A Personnel Security Investigation is required.
- This position may have specific initial background investigation and periodic re-verification requirements since its duties may require interaction with children and youth under the age of eighteen (18) years of age on a recurring basis.
- Selectees may be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position subject to pre-employment screening and random drug testing. Selectees will be required to consent to participation in random drug urinalysis testing.
- A pre-placement medical examination may be required.
- Immunization screening may be required. Hepatitis B immunization is required for all positions with direct patient contact. Applicants may be required to show proof of other immunizations depending on the type of position.
- May be required to obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through the American Red Cross. Advanced certification (e.g., ALS) does not supersede BLS.
- Applicants must be able to fulfill non-privileged professional credential requirements.
- This position may include shift work (evenings, weekends, holidays).
- This position may require rotating shifts (i.e. work schedule that requires employees to continuously rotate from one shift to another at predetermined intervals).
- This position may require the incumbent to work during irregular work hours which may include evenings, weekends, holidays, and/or varying work schedules.
- This position may require the incumbent to work weekends and/or holidays.
- Moderate to heavy lifting up to 50 pounds may be required.
- Additional requirements may be determined as positions arise and will be communicated during the hiring process if you are selected.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application.
Basic Requirements for Advanced Practice Nurse (Nurse Anesthetist):
Degree for Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Positions: A graduate or higher level degree in nursing from an accredited educational program in the area of Anesthesia.
Degree from Foreign Nursing School: Official certification from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools is required for individuals who graduated from foreign nursing schools.
License Requirements for Advanced Practice Nurse Positions: The Advanced Practice Nurse (Nurse Anesthetist) occupation requires a licensure or registration by a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States as a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Specialized Experience: One full year of professional nursing experience which includes administering anesthetics to patients and monitoring patients receiving anesthesia care.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.