Anatomic Path Assistant
Since 1885, CHI St. Alexius Health has been dedicated to leading health care in this region by enriching the lives of patients through the highest quality of care. We seek to continue our tradition of success and innovation with individuals dedicated to delivering the highest level of expertise and quality. Together we can continue to grow and support the legacy of CHI St. Alexius Health for many years to come.
CHI St. Alexius Health officially announced the formation of its regional health care system on April 19, 2016. The system is the largest health care delivery system in central and western North Dakota and is comprised of a tertiary hospital in Bismarck, and critical access hospitals (CAHs) in Carrington, Dickinson, Devils Lake, Garrison, Turtle Lake, Washburn and Williston and numerous clinics and outpatient services. CHI St. Alexius Health manages five CAHs in North Dakota - Ashley, Elgin, Linton, and Wishek, as well as Mobridge Regional Medical Center in Mobridge, S. D.
Responsible for surgical specimen dissection and autopsy performance. Dictates complete and accurate gross descriptions, and sections tissue appropriately on a variety of surgical specimens processed for microscopic examination. Completes frozen section preparation. Assists pathologists with autopsy responsibilities. Maintains a leadership role in the gross area.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs surgical specimen dissection on simple to complex specimens
- Directs surgical specimens to appropriate staff in the gross room
- Dictates complete and accurate gross description using voice recognition technology
- Performs frozen sections and maintains the cryostats
- Maintains accuracy of patient identification on all specimens processed for microscopic examination
- Assists pathologists with all stages of performing autopsies, including pre and post responsibilities
- Keeps gross bench procedure manual current along with review of CAP compliance
- Maintains good communication and professional relationship with pathologists and supervisor as appropriate
- Provides leadership, guidance and training to all gross staff
- Assists with providing input for gross staff evaluations
Education: Master's degree in approved Pathology Assistant program
Licensure: Requires certification by ASCP (American Society for Clinical Pathology) as a Pathology Assistant PA (ASCP).
Experience: Requires a minimum of one year experience as a certified Pathology Assistant
Skills: Professional skills of a Pathologist's Assistant
Interpersonal Skills: Relates well with Pathologists, staff, patients and visitors
Physical Effort: Able to identify and distinguish color
Physical work level of light medium: Involves a maximum physical effort requirement of 35 pounds full material handling
Hours of Work: Variable work hours. Primarily Monday through Friday day shift with variable weekend and holiday shifts. Shares nights, weekend, and holiday call for gross bench, troubleshooting, and frozen sections with other PA's.
Exemption Status: Exempt
Other: Works under the following conditions: potential exposure to mechanical, chemical, electrical and infectious environmental hazards
CommonSpirit Health participates in E-verify.