Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio .
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir Biotechnology seeks an experienced and highly motivated scientist to join our Clinical Virology team in a leadership role, focused on managing pre-clinical research and clinical development of novel therapies for hepatitis B virus and other chronic viral diseases. The successful candidate will independently lead clinical virology activities for chronic viral diseases, including management of virology activities for clinical trials, characterization of viral resistance, and lead pharmacology contributions for regulatory submissions. This role will work cross-functionally across research and development groups within the company to advance programs through clinical development.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Independently lead clinical virology activities to support clinical trials, from study start up through study report delivery, including representing virology in study management and clinical sub teams
- Manage external contract research labs to support clinical virology deliverables, including working cross functionally to meet timelines and budgets for clinical virology assays.
- Author clinical virology reports, pharmacology reports, and sections of key clinical and regulatory documents.
- Oversee pre-clinical and clinical scientific research internally or at contract labs
- Investigate the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts and/or development strategies in research and development.
- Lead non-clinical pharmacology data packages for regulatory submissions, including authoring and review of IND documents
- Provide updates to management teams on status of pre-clinical and clinical virology activities.
- Stakeholder management with internal business partners, key opinion leaders, and external partners on clinical studies
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- PhD with 8+ years of relevant experience or equivalent degree/experience in microbiology, virology, or a related field.
- Experience supporting clinical trials and/or working with clinical samples required
- Background in hepatitis B virus or other chronic viral diseases highly desirable
- Prior experience managing teams, including managing scientists, contract labs and/or working across companies
- Proficiency in cell-based virology and molecular biology techniques, including assay development. Experience in qPCR, cell-based viral quantification, viral sequencing, and/or viral resistance is highly desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong project management/organizational skills are essential.
Vir's compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person's experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.