About the Department
Imagine transforming the face of biomedical research, helping patients getting healthier with digital therapeutics, and advanced medical devices in a state-of-the-art research facility. That’s what we do at Novo Nordisk Research Center Seattle, Inc. (NNRCSI). Our scientists and engineers apply cutting-edge technologies to early R&D projects with the goal of bringing real change to People with Diabetes and Obesity. Such projects include applying data science when developing advanced medical devices and digital decision support solutions. At NNRCSI, your skills, dedication and ambition will help us change lives for the better. In exchange, we’ll offer you an opportunity to work with extraordinary talent, continuously learn and develop, and drive change to defeat diabetes and other serious chronic conditions.
The team is comprised of collaborative, diverse and passionate people who have a true sense of pride in their work and are committed to helping others grow and develop their careers. You’ll also have a platform to engage with key stakeholders on a global scale throughout the entire pipeline process. And while changing the future of diabetes and obesity treatment is no easy task, we also recognize the importance of an enjoyable workplace, which is why we’ve cultivated a culture of fun, ingenuity and innovation. And our competitive compensation package and support of a healthy work-life balance all add to a best-in-class employee experience. We are changing lives for a living. Are you ready to make a difference?
As our new Assistant General Counsel, you will provide legal advice and support to R&D Business Development. Your work will focus on drafting and negotiating various types of agreements such as research and development collaborations and partnerships, license agreements, M&A agreements, and various transactional intellectual property matters.
You will engage with a diverse range of stakeholders within the business and across Global Legal. This role will work closely together with the R&D Business Development, Global R&D teams located in Cambridge and Denmark as well as other Novo Nordisk lawyers in Novo Nordisk's US headquarters in Plainsboro, New Jersey. As part of the Global Legal organisation, you would also be involved with cross-functional global legal projects and will have opportunities, both in the United States and abroad, for further professional development.
This position is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts and will work together with R&D Business Development team located in Cambridge. This position reports to the Vice President – Legal Business Development & Trademarks located in Denmark.
The position will be a key member of the highly collaborative and high-performing Legal Business Development & Trademarks team which provides legal support to Novo Nordisk’s global Business Development teams, Global Research, Digital Health, Trademarks, including leading support for IP licensing transactions, M&A and other global strategic collaborations. The team is primarily located in Novo Nordisk’s headquarters in Denmark, as part of Global Legal & Patents. Novo Nordisk’s Global Legal organization has more than 250 global legal colleagues situated at +40 locations around the world with US headquarters in Plainsboro, New Jersey.
- Lead drafting, negotiating, structuring, and advising on complex life science transactions, including global licensing transactions, strategic collaborations, and acquisitions
- Be a key business partner with R&D Business Development and Global R&D teams
- Advise on and manage critical legal issues and work closely with other Novo Nordisk functions such as Patents, R&D operations, finance, tax
- Manage outside counsel
0-10% overnight travel required. This position can be hybrid out of our Cambridge, MA site or fully remote (must be based in East Coast reqion of US).
- J.D. Law degree from recognized university and and state bar admission required and ability to obtain a Massachusetts in-house counsel license
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant transactional experience from a major law firm or in-house legal department
- Relevant experience providing legal advice to life sciences/pharmaceutical industry required
- Experience in drafting and negotiating complex life sciences/pharmaceutical industry agreements required
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively with all levels within the organization
- Has personal drive, “can-do” approach, and results-oriented attitude, which enables you to establish strong professional relations internally and externally
- International mind-set and enjoy being part of a global work environment
- Strong work ethic and business judgment and ability to assess risk and think strategically
- Ability to work under pressure, manage numerous and changing priorities effectively and solid attention to detail
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
The base compensation range for this position is $260,000 to $310,000. Base compensation is determined based on a number of factors. In addition, this position is part of the Annual Performance Incentive Plan. The role may also be eligible for a long-term incentive bonus depending on level and other Company factors. Employees are also eligible to participate in Company employee benefit programs including medical, dental and vision coverage; life insurance; disability insurance; 401(k) savings plan; flexible spending accounts; employee assistance program; tuition reimbursement program; and voluntary benefits such as group legal, critical illness, identity theft protection, pet insurance and auto/home insurance. The Company also offers time off pursuant to its uncapped sick time policy, flex-able vacation policy, and parental leave policy.
We commit to an inclusive recruitment process and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
At Novo Nordisk we recognize that it is no longer good enough to aspire to be the best company in the world. We need to aspire to be the best company for the world and we know that this is only possible with talented employees with diverse perspectives, backgrounds and cultures. We are therefore committed to creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the diversity of our employees, the patients we serve and communities we operate in. Together, we’re life changing.
Novo Nordisk is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.