Our Animal Health Research & Development team works tirelessly to invent solutions to improve the health and well-being of animals. Our state-of-the-art research facilities provide an environment of innovation that enable us to create breakthrough science changing the way we approach animal health challenges.
The Associate Principal Scientist in our Research and Development Division will be responsible for identifying new molecular entities and technologies for animal health use at our Company Laboratories or external partners such as human pharma or biotech companies as well as academia. The successful candidate will lead these research programs from ideation through the early research and proof-of-concept phase up to the development stage. He/she will interface with researchers and senior management throughout the organization at our Research & Development Division, external partners, as well as the R&D organization of Merck Animal Health. The incumbent will operate within a matrix structure to source the necessary research work (Chemistry, In Vitro Pharmacology, Pharmacokinetics, Disease Models, Formulation Development, Safety & Toxicology). He/she will report directly to the Director of the Research & Development Division.
- Required: PhD and/or DVM/VMD
- Minimum of (3) years industry or pharmaceutical research experience in drug discovery or preclinical research, preferably with a focus on in vivo pharmacology
- Advanced and thorough scientific knowledge in pharmacology, disease mechanisms and related preclinical models
- Expertise in one of the following fields: microbiology, oncology, diabetes, respiratory & immunology, cardiology, pain & inflammation, reproduction, drug delivery or biotechnology
- Ability to manage multiple projects, including budgets, contracts, and timelines
- Ability to independently plan, recommend and complete research programs
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Effective creator of executive level presentations and documents
- Experience in preparing basic patent applications in support of patent coverage of research efforts
- 10 % Travel
- Board certification in Pharmacology
- Knowledge of regulatory aspects of pharmaceuticals including: GLP, GCP and GMP
- Project management skills within pharmaceuticals
- Experience in developing and managing collaborations with outsource providers, vendors, contractors and academic institutions
- Experience in working with business development to identify and license external technology opportunities
Our Animal Health division is a trusted global leader in veterinary medicine, dedicated to the health and well-being of animals. We are a global team of professionals working together to make a positive difference in animal care and the world's food supply and have a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society and our planet. We offer one of our industry's most innovative portfolio of products, services and technologies that serve to prevent, treat, and control diseases across all major farm and companion animal species.
Who we are ...
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as "Merck" in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as "MSD" in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world's biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for ...
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
OFCCP Pay Transparency Rule
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
No Travel Required
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: