Requisition ID: BIO005494
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck's success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck's Animal Health (MAH) Division works to improve the health of animals around the world through collaborative partnerships and a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and planet. This team of energetic, independent thinkers offers one of the industry's most innovative portfolios of products, services, and technologies that serve to prevent, treat, and control diseases across all major farm and companion animal species both domestically and internationally.
The Assoc. Principal Scientist in the MRL Liaison Group at Merck Animal Health R&D will be responsible for identifying new molecular entities and technologies for animal health use at Merck Research Laboratories (MRL/Merck's Human Pharma R&D organization) or external partners such as human pharma or biotech companies as well as academia. The successful candidate will lead these research programs from ideation through the early research and proof-of-concept phase up to the development stage. He/she will interface with researchers and senior management throughout the organization at MRL, external partners, as well as the R&D organization of Merck Animal Health. The incumbent will operate within a matrix structure to source the necessary research work (Chemistry, In Vitro Pharmacology, Pharmacokinetics, Disease Models, Formulation Development, Safety & Toxicology). He/she will report directly to the Director of the MRL Liaison Group.
Position is located at the Merck Animal Health HQ in Madison, NJ
• Required: PhD and/or DVM/VMD
• Minimum of (3) years industry or pharmaceutical research experience in drug discovery or preclinical research, preferably with a focus on in vivo pharmacology
• Advanced and thorough scientific knowledge in pharmacology, disease mechanisms and related preclinical models
• Expertise in one of the following fields: microbiology, oncology, diabetes, respiratory & immunology, cardiology, pain & inflammation, reproduction, drug delivery or biotechnology
• Ability to manage multiple projects, including budgets, contracts, and timelines
• Ability to independently plan, recommend and complete research programs
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Effective creator of executive level presentations and documents
• Experience in preparing basic patent applications in support of patent coverage of research efforts
• 10 % Travel
• Board certification in Pharmacology
• Knowledge of regulatory aspects of pharmaceuticals including: GLP, GCP and GMP
• Project management skills within pharmaceuticals
• Experience in developing and managing collaborations with outsource providers, vendors, contractors and academic institutions
• Experience in working with business development to identify and license external technology opportunities
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we're counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we're inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of it's manifestations.
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable): N/A
Company Trade Name: Merck
Nearest Major Market: New Jersey