Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio .
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir Biotechnology is seeking an experienced and highly motivated scientist to join our Clinical Immunology team in a leadership role, focused on managing pre-clinical research and clinical development of novel therapies for respiratory diseases, including influenza and SARS-CoV-2. The successful candidate will independently lead clinical immunology activities for acute respiratory diseases, including management of immunology activities for clinical trials, support projects across all phases of clinical development, and contribute to regulatory submissions. This role will work cross-functionally across research and development groups within the company to advance programs through clinical development.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Independently lead clinical immunology activities to support clinical trials, from study start up through study report delivery, including representing Clinical Immunology in study management and clinical sub teams.
- Manage external contract research labs to support clinical immunology deliverables, including working cross functionally to meet timelines and budgets for clinical immunology assays.
- Interpret immune response data to assess potential clinical impact.
- Author clinical immunology reports and sections of key clinical and regulatory documents.
- Partner with internal/external stakeholders in the central lab set up, providing sample collection and processing instructions, kit contents, shipping conditions and logistics for biomarker samples.
- Investigate the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts and/or development strategies in research and development.
- Lead non-clinical pharmacology data packages for regulatory submissions, including authoring and review of IND documents.
- Provide updates to management teams on status of pre-clinical and clinical immunology activities.
- Stakeholder management with internal business partners, key opinion leaders, and external partners on clinical studies
- May serve as the clinical immunology representative in internal and external teams across multifunctional project or functional areas, as well as a scientific immunology resource across the company.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Candidate must have an MD and/or PhD and 8+ years of relevant industry/academic experience with focus in either immunology or infectious disease.
- Must have a broad fundamental understanding of the immune response to both acute and chronic infections; extensive experience with respiratory pathogens is highly desired.
- Experience supporting clinical trials and/or working with clinical samples required
- Technical expertise with specialized immunology assays and methods such as polychromatic flow cytometry (>12 colors), mass cytometry/CyTOF, RNAseq (bulk and/or single cell), TCR/BCR repertoire analysis, antigen presentation assays, and other in vitro immunology systems is required. Familiarity with management and analysis of complex, multi-parameter data sets (i.e. systems biology) ideal.
- Prior experience managing teams, including managing scientists, contract labs and/or working across companies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong project management/organizational skills are essential.
Vir's compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person's experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.