The Controller's primary responsibility is effective leadership and management of the Company's Accounting team and accounting operations which includes the monthly close process, quarterly financial reporting, management of external auditors, analysis of technical accounting and tax issues, enforcement of controls and SOX compliance, and management of financial systems. The Controller is also responsible for the integrity and accuracy of the company's SEC filings, including financial statements, related footnotes, and the MD&A. The Corporate Controller will work with other team members to develop and implement scalable and efficient accounting processes and services (i.e., A/P, payroll).
KEY CHARACTERISTICS :
· Must be a hands-on, roll-up your sleeves leader
· Demonstrates a sense of urgency; identifies challenges and problems and takes the initiative to identify solutions.
· Establishes strong relationships cross-functionally and be the accounting expert for the company
· Manages changing priorities and deadlines
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
- Develops, maintains, and ensures ongoing compliance with accounting policies and SOX/internal controls.
- Plan and manage regulatory reporting, including tax filings and compliance across various jurisdictions
- Ensures the integrity and accuracy of information provided to the external auditors in relation to the annual audit and quarterly reviews.
- Review customer contracts and collaboration agreements to determine appropriate revenue recognition treatment in accordance with ASC 606
- Oversee payroll processing and related tax filings and partner with HR for compliance testing
- Ensures integrity of the Company's accounting systems, including interfaces from payroll, equity, and expense management systems to the general ledger.
- Ensures that policies and controls keep pace with the growth and increasing complexity of the business and provide guidance on technical accounting decisions and associated documentation
- Experience with various ERP systems and financial tools and committed to leverage systems to drive process efficiencies and internal controls
- Strong leadership skills in building a team and focusses on the continuous development and growth of the capabilities and performance of team members
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of GAAP accounting principles
- Experience in overseeing and operating within a Sarbanes-Oxley control environment
- Ability to deal with business issues collaboratively with other departments
- Provides cross-functional support to the Company as needs arise, including special projects, system improvements or ad-hoc financial analyses.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance / Tax / Accounting
- CPA required
- 10+ years accounting experience, including at least three years in a public company.
- 5+ years of Big 4 audit experience required. Biotech industry experience preferred.
- Advanced with Excel
- Knowledge of various financial systems. Experience with TriNet and Equity Edge Online a plus
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Adhere to COVID protocols and policy
- Sitting and working on a computer for a majority of the day
- Communicating both verbally and in writing
- During the current COVID-19 pandemic, the ability to work remotely until it is safe to return to the worksite and work on-site once deemed safe to return.