United Therapeutics is a vaccinated work environment where all employees are expected to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. We will provide any accommodations as required by law.
The job details are as follows:
What We Do
United Therapeutics Corporation focuses on the strength of a balanced, value-creating biotechnology model. We are confident in our future thanks to our fundamental attributes, namely our commitment to quality and innovation, the power of our brands, our entrepreneurial culture and our bioinformatics leadership. We also believe that our determination to be responsible citizens - having a positive impact on patients, the environment and society - will sustain our success in the long term.
We currently have five approved products on the market and a long-term mission of providing an unlimited supply of transplantable organs for those who need them.
Our company was founded by an entrepreneur whose daughter was diagnosed with a life-threatening condition. She sought to find treatment options and a cure for her daughter and patients like her. We are founder-led, and relentless in our pursuit of "medicines for life". We continue to research and develop treatments for cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases, pediatric cancers and other orphan diseases.
In 2021, we became the first publicly-traded biotech or pharmaceutical company to take the form of a public benefit corporation (PBC). Our public benefit purpose is to provide a brighter future for patients through (a) the development of novel pharmaceutical therapies; and (b) technologies that expand the availability of transplantable organs. At the same time, we seek to provide our shareholders with superior financial performance and our communities with earth-sensitive energy utilization.
United Therapeutics does not provide relocation assistance, housing, or transportation. The selected Co-op will need to be onsite at the Manchester, New Hampshire office for the entire duration of this co-op role.
How you’ll contribute
Assist a project lead/scientist in one of the following areas: 1) Materials application development, including ink formulations and printing and post-processing efforts. 2) Cellularization methods of 3D printed scaffolds to generate physiologically and biologically relevant tissue engineered lung constructs. Co-ops are educational positions requiring basic knowledge and understanding of (bio)material science fundamentals, 3D printing processes, tissue engineering, and manufacturing to support research and development in production of 3D-printed lung scaffolds suitable for recellularization. This co-op will include a project/deliverable that will be completed during employment and will utilize academic foundations to further career aspirations.
- Develop, evaluate and/or improve formulation designs for new and ongoing projects under the direct supervision of assigned engineering scientist
- Assist with basic project management, including development of a project plan and schedule
- Generate comprehensive protocols for testing/analyzing the materials during development
- Generate design assurance and comprehensive report documentation for testing and characterization
- Develop, evaluate and/or improve methods for cellularization of 3D printed scaffold designs for new and ongoing projects
- Assist and perform setup and maintenance for cellularization studies
- Assessment of cell phenotype, behavior and health following cellularization studies
- Assessment of scaffold mechanical and material properties following cellularization studies
- All other duties as required
For this role you will need
- Candidates must be at least a rising undergraduate junior and actively enrolled student in an academic program for the duration of the assignment; pursuing BA/BS degree in Material Science, Polymer Science, or Chemical/Biomedical/Mechanical Engineering discipline
- Available 40 hours/week to work onsite in Manchester, NH office
- 1+ years’ experience working in a hands-on lab environment
- Knowledge of polymer chemistry and material science or expertise in characterization methods of biological and polymeric materials
- Knowledge of basic cell culture and aseptic techniques
- Knowledge of basic confocal microscopy
- Knowledge of basic cell and molecular biology assays
- Knowledge of tissue engineering and regenerative medicine field and concepts
- Experience developing project plans and schedules
- Strong attention to detail, knowledge of good lab practices (GLP), and experience following experimental methods and protocols
- Ability to initiate and manage day-to-day tasks effectively, multi-tasking as needed
- Ability to generate protocols for testing/analyzing materials during development and design assurance and comprehensive reports for testing and characterization
- Ability to communicate and collaborate cross-functionally, and utilize internal and external resources to resolve complex issues in creative, efficient, and effective ways
- 1+ Experience working with MATLAB, SolidWorks, and/or CAD design software
- Actively enrolled student in a graduate program in Material Science, Polymer Science, or Chemical/Biomedical/Mechanical Engineering discipline
- GPA of 3.5 or higher
At United Therapeutics, you’ll realize quickly that it is not an ordinary place to work! When you join our company, you will learn, grow, contribute, have fun, and be challenged... all while making a difference in the lives of our patients.
United Therapeutics Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - EOE Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities