At Intercept, our mission is to build a healthier tomorrow for patients with progressive non-viral liver diseases. Intercept's lead product, obeticholic acid (OCA), is a first-in-class farnesoid X receptor (FXR) agonist marketed under the brand name \"Ocaliva®\" in the U.S., EU and Canada for the treatment of patients with primary biliary cholangitis (PBC), a rare autoimmune liver disease. Ocaliva® was the first medication to be approved for PBC in over twenty years, and sales continue to grow more than five years after its initial approval in 2016.
Intercept has also established the leading clinical development program in liver fibrosis due to nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), a disease that impacts the lives of millions of people in the U.S. alone. Currently, there are no available treatments for NASH, and the REGENERATE study of OCA remains the only Phase 3 trial to have generated positive results in the disease.
People at Intercept are passionate about patients. You'll see their photos lining our walls and hear their stories in town halls. We're equally passionate about our team and ensuring each member reaches their potential. We brave new challenges together. That's how we find better ways to get things done and break down barriers. It's also how we make it fun to work here.
At Intercept, we foster an environment that celebrates creativity, collaboration, and mutual respect. We never hesitate to lean on our teammates and work together. Our relatively small size means you partner with accessible leaders who know you by name. This brings accountability and growth, which all add up to more opportunities to learn something new every day. A strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is engrained in both our culture and our business. For self-motivated leaders who are ready to make a difference in the lives of patients, Intercept is a great place to be.
As Intercept continues to build its position as the leader in progressive non-viral liver disease, we are seeking a Director of Strategic Accounts (DSA). The individual will report to the Executive Director, Strategic Accounts. As a member of the strategic account team, the DSA will play a key role in the sales and support of OCA in both PBC and NASH. The DSA is responsible for facilitating the introduction, education, and access /reimbursement of OCA with national/regional commercial payers, Medicare/Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plans, Medicaid, the VA, DOD, TRICARE and other federal/state agencies or integrated delivery network accounts as assigned. Subsequent implementation of the strategy and tactics will be driven through alignment of the strategy with defining critical success factors, key performance indicators, and the supporting tactics for Obeticholic Acid (OCA.) This individual will need to work closely with patient services, distribution, sales, marketing, MSLs and commercial operations on a routine basis to ensure alignment in a fast paced matrix environment.
The successful candidate must be able to perform each of the following satisfactorily:
- Create and execute a business strategy and execution plan for assigned commercial/federal/state government payer markets with an objective to minimize OCA access barriers through streamlined and transparent coverage resulting in smooth patient access to therapy
- Drive education in coordination with commercial leadership and other Market Access team members regarding commercial/federal/state marketplace activities and tips for their pull through success in this marketplace to maximize appropriate use
- Execute and support any necessary commercial/government contracts as necessary to optimize reimbursement /product access.
- Responsible for staying on top of evolution of the commercial/federal/state government markets
- Create and update business strategies and plans as needed.
- Facilitate communication about this segment across all relevant stakeholders
- Establish critical relationships with a variety of stakeholders within this segment
- Establish Intercept Pharmaceuticals as a strategic partner for commercial, federal and state customers.
- Reactively respond to any identified coverage issues and market access challenges for OCA within this segment
- Lead and demonstrate the ability to expand or build long-term executive level account relationships with targeted accounts
- Collaborate with brand and medical teams to continually improve relationships
- Attend key trade meetings (ex. AMCP), POA's and sales meetings
- Develop internal triage process in collaboration with field leadership around coverage concerns including denials or appeals and a plan to remediate
- Understand the legal and compliance environment and drive collaboration with the Legal and Compliance team
- Drive the spirit of \"ONE Team\" across all functions by supporting a team approach to focus on our patients and customers as our top priorities
- Make Intercept a truly desired place to work
Experience and Skills
- Minimum of 10 years' experience in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry
- Specific customer facing experience in managing commercial/federal/state customers at all levels
- Deep understanding of assigned accounts and its key stakeholders, with an established track record of success securing optimal formulary coverage
- Part D and specialty oral therapy launch experience (pharmacy benefit)
- Minimum 5 years of experience covering commercial/federal/state government payers at a national level
- Previous experience in launching orphan or specialty products or indications within this segment strongly preferred
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in related field or science, MBA or advanced degree preferred
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Must have an in-depth knowledge of current trends in commercial/federal/state marketplace as well have an understanding of current healthcare regulations, contracting and reimbursement
- Broad based business acumen
- Outstanding established relationships with assigned customers, interpersonal, and communication skills with the established ability to effectively work with diverse audiences and influence cross functionally
- Strong analytical skills with the proven ability to effectively analyze data to determine trends and inform strategy
- Proven ability to work effectively across multi-disciplinary teams
- Significant travel required
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Learning agility and 'scalability' to take on increasing responsibility as Intercept grows
- Consistent demonstration and embodiment of company core values: Come Together, Be Yourself, Own the Solution, Embrace the Challenge, Keep Exploring.
- Ability to have fun and thrive in a growing, diverse, and inclusive work environment