United Therapeutics is a vaccinated work environment where all employees are expected to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. We will provide any accommodations as required by law.
The job details are as follows:
What We Do
United Therapeutics Corporation focuses on the strength of a balanced, value-creating biotechnology model. We are confident in our future thanks to our fundamental attributes, namely our commitment to quality and innovation, the power of our brands, our entrepreneurial culture and our bioinformatics leadership. We also believe that our determination to be responsible citizens - having a positive impact on patients, the environment and society - will sustain our success in the long term.
We currently have five approved products on the market and a long-term mission of providing an unlimited supply of transplantable organs for those who need them.
Our company was founded by an entrepreneur whose daughter was diagnosed with a life-threatening condition. She sought to find treatment options and a cure for her daughter and patients like her. We are founder-led, and relentless in our pursuit of “medicines for life”. We continue to research and develop treatments for cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases, pediatric cancers and other orphan diseases.
How you’ll contribute
The Ex-Vivo Lung Specialist I will develop the skills necessary to perform the clinical ex vivo lung procedure protocols. This role is responsible for evaluating donor lung suitability, managing organ logistics, and coordinating the clinical team for surgical set-up.
- Maintain all regulatory compliance frameworks associated with clinical procedures including, but not limited to FDA, UNOS, OPTN, CLIA, and CMS at the US federal and state level, as well as that of Health Canada
- Operate both commercial and clinical trial EVLP device
- Evaluate donor lung suitability from Organ Procurement Organization (OPO) or transplant center EVLP referrals
- Initiate referral documentation in LBE’s data collection platform
- Review donor medical chart to confirm device inclusion and exclusion criteria
- Manage organ logistics to ensure organs arrive within time frame required to execute EVLP procedure
- Coordinate clinical team arrival to LBE EVLP facility for surgical suite for set-up
- Prepare surgical suite, including equipment (hardware and disposable) setup, and regular ongoing, and as needed, ex vivo support activities involving, but not limited to instrument and equipment preparation, maintenance, and quality control
- Evaluate physical lung condition and lead surgical cannulation/reconstruction of vessels and trachea
- Manage EVLP procedure, including lung assessment, venous gas sampling, bronchoscopy, x-ray collection, recruitment, and deflation
- Maintain communication with LBE Medical Consultants and accepting transplant surgeon
- Address and resolve medical/safety/eligibility questions from accepting transplant centers
- Monitor adherence to protocols and determine EVLP case completion in conjunction with LBE Medical Consultant and accepting surgeon
- Follow OPTN lung packaging procedures and prepare surgical area for next EVLP procedure
- Assist transplant center in post-EVLP logistics
- Participate in clinical review meetings and other administrative and scientific activities
- Collaborate and perform experiments with pre-clinical and translational medicinal colleagues in assessing the potential of new lung therapeutic development as needed
- Attend staff meetings and provide input, as needed, into operational, clinical and regulatory development plans
- Adhere to call schedule as well as support regular daytime office hours
- All other duties as required
For this role you will need
- Associates Degree
- 2+ years of experience in advanced practice organ procurement/transplant with a BA/BS or 4+ years of experience with an Associates Degree
- 1+ years of experience as a Procurement Transplant Coordinator or Registered Nurse with critical care experience
- 1+ years of experience in sterile technique
- 1+ years of direct experience participating in surgical procedures
- 1+ years of critical care experience including ventilator management and blood gas interpretation
- Upon hire, willingness to train onsite in Jacksonville, FL; Silver Spring, Maryland; as well as in Toronto, Canada
- Upon initial training completion, successfully passing any qualification requirements
- Demonstrated specialized knowledge of lung physiology and mechanics
- Skilled with data collection and analysis
- Ability to operate Apple and PC; Microsoft Office Suite (2007 and 2010) skills: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint required, as well as Adobe Acrobat, etc.
- Must be able to follow procedures and be competent in sterile technique and basic surgical skills, including suturing and tying
- Bachelor’s Degree in Arts/Sciences (BA/BS)
- CPTC - Certified Procurement Transplant Coordinator
At United Therapeutics, you’ll realize quickly that it is not an ordinary place to work! When you join our company, you will learn, grow, contribute, have fun, and be challenged... all while making a difference in the lives of our patients.
United Therapeutics Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - EOE Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities