Participate in technical activities of the Pathology department such as grossing, embedding, microtomy, staining and cytology. Prepare histology tissue slides and cytospin cytology slides for diagnostic purposes and perform special stains to assist in diagnosis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsible for performing and assisting in daily functions within the Histology/Cytology department
- Accurate recording and handling of all specimens
- Embedding, cutting, staining, and coverslipping surgical slides
- Performs accurate gross description on tissue samples
- Performs special stains
- Daily quality control and quality assurance procedures and logs
- Equipment maintenance and maintenance logs
- Maintenance of slide and block files
- Operates all instruments/ equipment according to accepted written procedures and recognizes and identifies instrument/ equipment problems
- Ability to work as a team member and possess a positive attitude
- Focused and well-organized with attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Willing to train prospective employee on cytology preparation techniques
- Perform other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Meet CLIA & CAP requirements for Histology technologist/ technician
- MINIMUM 2 years of histology laboratory experience working with small biopsy specimens
- Ability to solve complex problems independently and as part of a team.
- MUST be detail oriented and possess strong organizational skills.
- Skills in microtomy, grossing, processing, embedding, cutting and routine special staining techniques.