Location: 700 S 19TH ST. Birmingham, AL, 35233.
Department: Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
Type: Full Time
Minimum Experience: Experienced
Security Clearance Level: Ability to pass a background check
Military Veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply!
The Green Technology Group, LLC (TGTG) is seeking a talented Histology Technologist.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
This position is designated as a Histology Technologist in the Anatomic Pathology section of the Birmingham VA Medical Center, Pathology & Laboratory Medicine.
- To conduct procedures used to prepare specimens of tissue for examination and analysis by a Pathologist.
- Performs grossing, processing, embedding, microtomy, and both routine and multiple staining of samples.
- Performs and documents quality control, prepares and maintains reagents and solutions following standard operating procedures
- Complies with all computer (equipment and options) requirements as outlined in Medical Center and P&LMS policies/procedures.
- Properly identifies and tests suboptimal specimens and takes corrective actions to minimize or eliminate impact on samples.
- Maintains highly complex equipment, including automated and manual rotary microtomes, tissue processors, cryostat microtomes, automated strainers, cover slippers and immunohistochemical strainers.
- Meets the needs of all customers while supporting VA personnel in the pursuit of maintaining the missions that have been established for the integrated health care services.
- Supports Medical Center, P&LMS, and VISN goals/mission. Resolve most conflict which arise, coordinate work with others, and interpret policies in terms of established objectives, and keeps the supervisor informed of progress and potentially controversial matters
- Follows safety and health rules and regulations established by their facility and VHA management.
- Addresses safety and health hazards at the most appropriate and lowest level in the organization.
Required Skills & Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in an approved major (e.g. biology, chemistry).
- One year of experience in a histopathology lab or complete a formal histology educational program.
- The national exam must also be passed and a Certification from the American Society for Clinical Pathology.
- Must hold ASCP "HTL" Certification
Years of Professional Experience:
1+ year of relevel experience required
TGTG is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.