Federal Program / Laboratory Coordinator – Silver Spring, MD
The Laboratory Coordinator coordinates the daily activities in a research laboratory and supports the work of the researchers and/or technicians to maximize operational effectiveness. Laboratory Coordinator will manage laboratory in accordance with WRAIR, AALAC and Safety regulations and respond to all requests for improvements in a timely manner in coordination with the PI.
• Manage laboratory equipment in accordance with WRAIR regulations and coordinate with outside vendors to ensure proper function and repairs as needed
• Perform behavioral tests on rats, including advanced computer-controlled behavioral testing systems such as elevated plus maze, acoustic startle, open field, operant conditioning, associative conditioning, and other tests as assigned.
• Perform blood draws, tissue dissection, and proper processing and storage of specimens to support studies.
• Participates in the development of new methods, approaches, or procedures to include electrophysiological recording and animal surgeries.
• Process, analyze, and visualize data in graphical or other tabulated formats per laboratory standards.
• Manage development and maintenance of up-to-date laboratory SOPs and best laboratory practices in coordination with the PI and other research staff.
• Develop and demonstrate excellent and professional rapport with research assistants in the laboratory, and other Institute personnel.
• Proactively manage and engage in multiple ongoing laboratory efforts simultaneously to include managing lab calendar to ensure lab resources and personnel are allocated according to lab priorities with input from the PI.
• Manage orderly storage and inventory of purchased supplies, equipment and materials necessary to conduct experiments and maintain the laboratories, to include laboratory animals; Initiate and track purchase requests for supplies and animals with input from the PI.
• Draft administrative documents for submission through internal processes with minimal oversight from the PI to include but not limited to minor IACUC amendments, CAPR requests, agreement requests, purchase requests, ARC requests, PBAC requests and annual and other protocol censuses.
• Orient new technicians to laboratory procedures and standards as needed, coordinate lab member orientations and document proficiencies in technical skills for lab members.
• Coordinate with oversight departments to ensure compliance with WRAIR regulations.
• Must have a master’s degree in relevant area of study and a minimum of 2 years experience in preclinical research, OR bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5 years of experience with progressive increased in responsibility in preclinical research
• Be proficient in productivity software programs including Word, Excel, GraphPad Prism, SPSS Statistics, and others.
• Adhere to scientific standards of responsible conduct of research, and scientific integrity.
• Must be able to work independently following a brief period of specific technical training
• Public Trust clearance preferred.
Clearance Requirement: Public Trust / High Risk
As this position is categorized as Public Trust / High Risk position, candidates will be subject to appropriate Background Investigation.
Job Location: Silver Spring, MD
As this position will be required to travel to federal government sites, candidate must be residing near a national airport.
Potential International and/or Domestic travel may be required. (10% to 20% travel).
About the Role
This job is CONTINGENT upon contract award, client approval, completion of a favorable background investigation, and the ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust / High Risk clearance.
No, this position is not eligible for relocation benefits.
Valor offers competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision. Basic life and supplemental life, short and long-term disability, 401k with an employer match, robust holiday schedule and more.
Valor Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.