Medical Lab Technologist
BRIEF JOB SUMMARY: Provides precise, accurate quality laboratory services in the Andrology and Endocrinology laboratories performing testing and sample preparation for patient care and external testing.
MAJOR ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs bench laboratory procedures involving semen analysis and related testing procedures (viability staining and fructose testing), semen preparation for insemination from fresh and frozen samples, in vitro fertilization and cryopreservation.
- Preparation of blood samples and automated endocrine testing of human serum using Immulite automated analyzer.
- Performs all necessary maintenance and quality control procedures in the operation of all associated Andrology and Endocrinology and embryology ( if requested) laboratory equipment on daily, weekly, monthly, yearly fashion as required and directed.
- Adheres to sterile technique in all handling and strict sample identification procedures and obeys all laboratory safety and quality management rules
- Reports laboratory results accurately and in the required timely fashion via written, electronic and verbal communications.
- Communicates with and instructs patients in a professional, courteous and accurate fashion as required in issues of sample collection, required paperwork and identification and patient specific issues and questions
- Maintains all necessary records in an accurate and timely fashion including sample record logs, cryo logs, quality control records, reagent and supply logs
- Assumes responsibility for cryogenic storage and materials including ensuring proper maintenance of cryogenic tanks and gas supply, proper preparation, labeling and handling of all frozen stored materials, proper record keeping.
- Ensuring that facilities are clean
- Also ensures timely transferring all cryogenic material received from external sources (cryo banks, other centers etc.)
- Monitors inventory of supplies and reagents and ensures that proper ordering of necessary supplies is arranged
- Participates in all required proficiency testing events in Andrology and Endocrinology
- Participates in regular continuing education events as required for licensure.
- Participates in and assists laboratory director and other staff in inspections and other regulatory compliance issues for NYS DOH, CAP, FDA and other regulatory bodies
- Cooperates in ensuring 7-day laboratory coverage including participation in shared scheduled weekend work and cooperative scheduling of Holiday and vacation periods.
- Participates in research projects involving Andrology and Endocrinology aspects as required and determined by the laboratory and medical director
- Provides outstanding team work/patient service including respect, flexibility, knowledge, confidence and assumes/maintains professional attitude with coworkers, physicians and patients at all times
- Prepare Office, surgical or any letters patients may need
- Handle Doctors Correspondence such as writing letters, sending notes or packets to patients via email or parcel when requested
- • Train and Assist in implementation of the new EMR