Medical Technologist (PD)
Adventist Health is more than an award-winning health system. We provide whole-person care to our communities and champion the greater good - from the operating room to the boardroom, we are driven by our unique passion to live God's love through health, wholeness and hope. From Oregon to Oahu, we have a calling to always do more. Now is your chance to apply your passion to our mission.
We're looking for someone to join our team as a Medical Technologist (PD) who:
Performs chemical, microscopic, and microbiological test assays and related duties to obtain results for use in diagnosis and treatment of disease. Performs related duties in laboratory to include storing and labeling specimens and using manual and automatic equipment to prepare specimens and perform analytical tests. Performs procedures that exclude any to be performed only by licensed clinical laboratory scientists as defined by State licensure regulations. Supervises phlebotomists, offers suggestions and provides guidance as needed.
- Prepares sterile media in plates, jars or test tubes for use in growing bacterial cultures; incubates culture for specific times at prescribed temperatures. Prepares solutions, reagents and stains, following standard laboratory formulas and procedures. Demonstrates a working knowledge of the specific policies and procedures that relate to the duties of an Medical Laboratory Technologist (MLT) by consistently operating within the context of these requirements. Performs only those technical duties for which training and orientation has been documented and approval granted (initially and ongoing).
- Maintain detailed records of tests performed and report laboratory test results to appropriate personnel; recognize Quality Control shifts and trends and take appropriate action whenever necessary. Evaluates the validity of results obtained.
- Calibrates and performs routine maintenance on test equipment. Cleans and sterilizes laboratory equipment, glassware and instruments. Maintains laboratory supply of chemicals and glassware. Performs routine maintenance on equipment.
- Collects blood specimens from patients using venipuncture, or heel or finger stick. Carries out Point-of-Care Testing waived tests and urinalysis without microscope. Inspects blood and blood components for abnormal appearance and takes corrective actions if unsatisfactory.
- Performs quality control with each test or as required by manufacturer to check accuracy and reproducibility of test; if out of control, takes corrective action. Assists in instructing or training new personnel. Investigates and follows up on issues or irregularities with patient specimens or orders and document those investigations for the Quality Manager.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
You'll be successful with the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in in medical technology, clinical laboratory science or allied health technologies or equivalent (some certifications will require Bachelor's): Preferred
- Master's Degree: Preferred
- Two years Medical Technologist experience in hospital setting: Preferred
- Current certification from American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or National Credentialing Agency for Labs (NCA): Preferred
- Current state Medical Lab Technician license: Required
Adventist Health is committed to the safety and wellbeing of our associates and patients. Therefore, we require that all associates receive all required vaccinations, including, but not limited to, measles, mumps, flu (based on the seasonal availability of the flu vaccine typically during October-March each year), etc., as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter. Medical and religious exemptions may apply.