The Federal Detention Center in Philadelphia, PA is seeking a Medication Technician.
Serves as a Medication Technician in a Federal Bureau of Prisons Institution.
Responsible for the administration and distribution of medication to inmates in various locations, including the Health Services Unit, Special Housing Units, or other designated areas within the institution.
Administers medications to include but not limited to Oral, Topical, Nebulized, Meter Dose Inhaler, and Insulin, in a manner consistent with nationally recognized safe medical practices, to include accurate identification of the patient, medication, dosage, time, and route.
Uses Medication Administration Record to document all medications administered at the time of administration via paper or electronic record.
Reports and records adverse medication reactions and seeks immediate medical assistance for inmates with severe adverse medication reactions.
Assists Pharmacist or other appropriate staff member in a variety of pharmacy related activities, including, but not limited to, entry of physician orders into a computerized pharmacy information system, preparation of medications for Pharmacist review, preparation of medication administration records, storage and inventory of pharmacy supplies, etc.
Along with all other correctional institution employees, incumbent is charged with responsibility for maintaining security of the institution. The staff correctional responsibilities precede all others required by this position and is performed on a regular and recurring basis.
At least one year of:
- Experience in assisting in maintaining sanitation of a medication administration area adhering to infection control policies and procedures as applicable.
- Experience in ordering and maintaining medical supplies and equipment.
- Experience in explaining medication instructions to patients.
This position requires the knowledge gained through one or more of the following: a medication administration training program, a certified nursing assistant or medical assistant program which included instruction on medication administration, certified pharmacy technician program, vocational nursing program, or paramedic training program. Evidence of program completion is required. The applicant is required to successfully demonstrate initial competence to administer medications, and on-going competence in administration of medications as required. If the applicant is a licensed vocational nurse, emergency medical technician (EMT- Basic, Intermediate, Advanced), or certified pharmacy technician state licensure or certification (as appropriate) must be maintained.
Conditions of Employment:
- This is a Federal Law Enforcement position.
- Applicant must be a citizen of the U.S. or national.
- Must be appointed prior to your 37th Birthday. (some Veterans may be exempt from age restriction)
- Be clear of any criminal convictions. (Felony record and/or misdemeanor conviction of domestic violence) 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(9) 1117
- Applicant must pass a drug screening, background investigation, and credit check.
- Applicant must be able to complete the Physical Abilities Test (PAT). The test includes 1/4 run, 75lbs dummy drag, short obstacle course, stair climb, and ladder climb.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $47,828.00 to $60,131.00 /year