Molecular Lab Technician
DESCRIPTION: Perform complex technical work involving molecular analysis of human biological materials. Job duties include a combination of the following responsibilities: extensive and complex steps requiring manual manipulation and pipetting, close monitoring and control, evaluation of data, and careful and accurate work. Training periods are typically long and require some reading of pertinent literature related to the specialty to maintain current knowledge in this dynamic, rapidly evolving, field.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Evaluate specimens received by the department and organize workflow to provide optimum efficiency of testing and turnaround time of results
- Extract, denature and purify DNA from assorted specimen types
- Perform PCR, hybridization, and genetic sequencing methods
- Evaluate results to determine interference, inhibition, or other problems that arise during extraction, amplification, or sequencing of DNA
- Perform quality control, validation, and other quality activities to verify performance of clinical assays
- Maintain equipment by performing assigned maintenance activities and troubleshoot unexpected problems with equipment
- Record data to monitor temperatures of incubation equipment
- Evaluate inventory of supplies and reagents and communicate order needs
- Operate complex equipment and computer programs related to equipment and LIS system
- Maintain records of test results and archives of data
- Perform proficiency testing to maintain compliance with regulatory agencies
- Assist department in writing and maintaining standard operating procedures for clinical assays. Document knowledge by reviewing and signing SOPs annually
- Perform other duties as assigned
- BS degree in Medical Technology, Biological Science or related field
- Certification with the American Society of Clinical Pathologist or Licensed MT (ASCP), MB (ASCP) preferred.
- More than 1 year of experience in a clinical laboratory setting with experience in CLIA/COLA a plus
- Knowledge of common DNA testing procedures from sample prep through analysis.
- Understanding of QC and QA within a clinical laboratory setting