Brigham and Women's Harbor Medical Associates is part of the Brigham and Women's Physicians Organization and is a multispecialty, primary care practice with more than 65 physicians in our several offices on the South Shore.
You will find our practice culture stimulating and rewarding. We value all our employees and offer comprehensive benefits. We are affiliated with Brigham and Women's Hospital, Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center and South Shore Hospital.
The Nurse Practitioner is an advanced practice registered nurse who has acquired specialized knowledge and skills through completion of a nurse practitioner program. The practitioner has the credentials to function in an expanded nursing role and is responsible for the daily management of selected patients. The practitioner has responsibility for assessment and management of patients including diagnostic and therapeutic interventions, and continuous implementation and evaluation of an appropriate plan of care. The Nurse Practitioner works with her/his collaborating physician in accordance with mutually developed practice guidelines, members of the care team and any other collaborating resource for patient care. The NP reports directly to the Executive Nurse Leader if there are issues to be addressed specific to the discipline of nursing.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESONSIBILITIES
A. Patient Care Organization
1. Provides direct care, counseling, and teaching to a select patient population.
2. Performs physical examinations and provides preventive health measures appropriate to patient needs.
3. Orders, interprets, and evaluates appropriate lab and diagnostic tests to assess patients’ clinical problems and health care needs.
4. Arranges for appropriate plan of care and follow-up based on outcome of diagnostic, lab, and physical assessment findings.
5. Performs laboratory tests appropriate for specific patient population.
6. Orders medications and writes prescriptions according to organizational and regulatory policies and procedures.
7. Records pertinent patient care findings in the medical record.
8. Sets priorities for appropriate and efficient management of patient care that reflects cost effective management of time, available human resources, supplies and equipment
9. Maintains interdisciplinary approach to planning and communicating patient care information by discussing patient data with appropriate physicians and other health care professionals.
10. Incorporates the concepts of health maintenance, prevention, and promotion into daily practice through patient education and counseling.
11. Demonstrates awareness of community resources and assists staff, patients, and families to effectively utilize them.
12. Is responsible to coordinate quarterly meetings to meet with their collaborating physician.
B. Quality of Care
1. Assists in the development, implementation and revision of nurse practitioner
guidelines and monitoring requirements for prescription writing in
collaboration with their designated physician and Nursing Director or
Executive Nursing Director.
2. Evaluates outcomes of own patients’ care and makes necessary revisions in care plans.
3. Seeks and provides consultative services as required.
4. Participates in departmental and organization quality improvement program.
5. Utilizes quality improvement data and research findings to enhance patient care.
1. Demonstrates appropriate collaborative and consultative relationships with other providers within the institution and community.
1. Participates in setting productivity metrics and in cost effective management of your time, supplies, and equipment.
E. Personnel Management
1. Participates in selection process of new employees in group or team practice as requested.
2. Provides input into evaluation of other staff as appropriate.
1. Encourages preceptorship for nursing students, advanced practice nurses, physician assistant students and staff as requested.
2. Participates in orientation of new staff as requested.
3. Participates in departmental and organization continuing education programs and meetings.
4. Identifies own learning needs and updates clinical knowledge and skills through formal and informal education and review of current literature.
1. Develops annual objectives and reviews with Nursing Director or Executive
Nursing Director and collaborating M.D. at time of performance review and at
appropriate intervals. Completes annual online training in HealthStream.
2. Maintains interdisciplinary approach for planning and communicating information for patient care and operation of practice.
3. Maintains current knowledge of legislation that may affect the health care delivery system.
4. Maintains educational certificates to maintain clinical practice/licenses/accreditations.
Education: Masters’ Degree in Nursing required. Satisfactory completion of an approved formal education program which has as its objective the preparation of professional nurses to practice as nurse practitioners.
Experience: Prior experience as a nurse practitioner preferred.
Other: ANA or other appropriate nursing certification in area of practice and authorization by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing to practice in the expanded role. DEA for prescription writing.
Skills and Abilities Required
1. Expert clinical judgement skills to function in the independent role.
2. Excellent interpersonal relationship and communication skills in order to collaborate with patients’ families, staff and community health workers.
3. Ability to work with frequent stress resulting from busy clinical settings and changing organizational climate.
4. Ability to be self-directive and demonstrate initiative in addressing responsibilities of position.
5. Ability to utilize appropriate problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
Brigham and Women’s Physicians Organization is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability unrelated to job requirements, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.
: MA-South Weymouth-BPO South Weymouth
BPO South Weymouth
541 Main Street
South Weymouth 02190
: Advanced Practice Nurse
: Brigham & Women's Physicians Organization(BWPO)
Standard Hours: 40
: Day Job
Recruiting Department: BPO Harbor Medical Associates
: Aug 30, 2018