Performs venipuncture on patients and prepares specimens for transport. Performs additional clerical and secretarial duties.
- Draws blood from adult, pediatric and infant patients.
- Interprets and verifies orders including patient identification.
- Assesses the physical condition of the site to be used for blood collection.
- Selects appropriate equipment for the chosen method of collection.
- Calculates quantity needed for diagnostic study.
- Labels specimen according to policy.
- Delivers specimens to Central Processing Laboratory.
- Assesses physical condition of the patient during phlebotomy and takes appropriate action.
- Follows approved standard precautions including, but not limited to the use of aseptic techniques, protective gear, discard of contaminated equipment, and other isolation precautions, as directed
- Follows administrative guidelines in the operation of the Ambulatory Lab, Pre-Admission Testing.
- Instructs patients regarding collection of blood, urine, sputum and stool specimens.
- Processes specimens to proper area of lab.
- Identifies and communicates problems to Nursing Supervision.
- Maintains phlebotomy supply levels.
- Restocks lab supplies.
- Assesses the type of blood work required for elective pre-op patient according to policy and requirements.
- Performs operation support duties including, but not limited to filling-in pertinent information on required forms; orientating new hires; delivering reports, supplies and other material; maintaining records; and participating in quality/assurance/control initiatives.
- Performs related duties, as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required
- Bachelor of Science in related field, preferred.
- Certified in Phlebotomy from a National Organization, preferred.
Minimum of two (2) years of experience in Phlebotomy or equivalent combination of education and experience required.