Who We Are
PhagePro is a discovery-driven venture spun out of the Camilli Lab at Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston. We aim to use bacteriophages (phages), which are viruses that specifically target and kill bacteria, to prevent bacterial infections. With the unmitigated rise of antibiotic resistance and the known negative consequences of gut dysbiosis caused by broad-spectrum antibiotics, bacteriophages provide a side effect-free alternative for preventing disease in clinical and community contexts. As a mission-driven biotech company, we are a phage company that prioritized global health. We believe health is a human right, and our team is dedicated to making that a reality for all through our innovative phage-based products.
Our first product is focused on the prevention of cholera. Cholera is a disease of poverty and spread primarily through contaminated water sources due to a lack of adequate sanitation infrastructure. This means that 1.3 billion people around the world are at risk for cholera. The World Health Organization estimates that there are at least 3 million cases globally per year, 40 percent of which are spread through household transmission.
The current recommended prevention method is the two-dose oral cholera vaccine; vaccination campaigns, however, require extensive planning and time for efficacy, which may not be feasible for immediate protection during an outbreak in areas with poor infrastructure. The earliest onset of protection is three weeks after the administration of the first dose. Household members often present with cholera symptoms two to three days after the initial patient becomes sick. Therefore, there is currently an unmet need for a clinical intervention to stem the community spread of cholera using a rapid prophylactic treatment. PhagePro fills this gap with its first phage-based product, ProphaLytic-Vc (PVC).
PhagePro is looking for a Principal Scientist to carry forth our research for PVC as we scale-up our studies in preparation for clinical trials. We are a flat and dynamic organization, and the Principal Scientist is crucial to our success in the field. It is located at PhagePro’s lab space at the Tufts Launchpad in Boston, MA.
- Support the translational development of phage-based interventions using molecular biology and microbiology techniques
- Problem-solve through literature searches and logical experimental design
- Generate detailed lab notebooks
- Present scientific data at lab meetings and conferences
- Write manuscripts for peer review
- Manage early-stage lab inventory
- Work collaboratively on a team
- Attend team meetings
- Contribute to scientific writing on external documents
- Work collaboratively with external partners
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Extensive bench experience in microbiology, virology, immunology, and/or related field
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Demonstrated strong technical writing
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Ability to work well independently as well as with a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Self-motivated learner
- Ability to learn and act on dynamic information
- Ability to multitask efficiently
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Advanced degree
- Experience working with bacteriophages and/or bacteria
- Industry experience
- Knowledge of healthcare settings in low- and middle-income countries
- First-author publication(s)
You are a good fit for our team if you are:
- Passionate and motivated by global health disparities
- An advocate for creating a diverse and inclusive work environment
- Open-minded and collaborative
- Driven by innovation
- Intellectually curious
- Able to operate effectively and efficiently with little oversight
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to getting to know you.