PRN MEDICAL LAB TECHNICIAN
CommonSpirit Health was formed by the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health. With more than 700 care sites across the U. S. , from clinics and hospitals to home-based care and virtual care services, CommonSpirit is accessible to nearly one out of every four U.S. residents. Our world needs compassion like never before. Our communities need caring and our families need protection. With our combined resources, CommonSpirit is committed to building healthy communities, advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable, and innovating how and where healing can happen, both inside our hospitals and out in the community.
ResponsibilitiesJob Summary / Purpose
MLT's are required to maintain competent phlebotomy skills and have a working knowledge of all laboratory departments and their functions. MLT's must be aware of current laboratory policies and procedures, sign off on new procedures, complete competency testing annually as provided by the Laboratory Manager, and perform proficiency testing.
* Performs work accurately with a minimum of non-clerical and clerical errors such as misidentifications, incomplete reports or incorrect reports.
* Ensures that the date, time, and technician's initials are recorded or captured on all work performed including patient reports and logs.
* Completes work and appropriate follow-ups according to protocol.
* Understands job description and is able to competently perform testing in all laboratory areas.
* Ensures that report comments are easily understood, neat and legible so that others will not misinterpret them.
* Leaves work area neat and clean
* Utilizes work time efficiently and completes tests within a reasonable amount of time, even when workload is heavy.
* Uses spare time for work related activities.
* Handles heavy workload effectively and professionally.
* Performs procedures according to the laboratory's current written protocol.
* Shows good judgment in handling situations not covered by written protocol.
* Aids and assists with the clerical and secretarial duties.
Essential Key Job Responsibilities
1. Operate required vehicle(s) in a safe manner to perform required duties of the position.
2. Performs phlebotomy procedures, including venipunctures and capillary and therapeutic phlebotomy procedures. Advises and properly collects other body fluids for laboratory testing.
3. Performs testing on blood and body fluids and questions unexpected or abnormal results and follows up with appropriate verification and reports critical values appropriately.
4. Maintains current knowledge of equipment used in the laboratory. Performs maintenance and troubleshooting procedures when necessary and analyzes quality control materials on a routine schedule
5. Replenishes supplies and notifies supervisor or responsible technologist if supplies need to be ordered.
6. Replaces reagents when needed.
7. Performs proficiency testing when assigned by the supervisor.
8. Takes call on a rotational basis to cover the hours that the laboratory is not regularly staffed.
9. Works shifts other than normal established shifts when necessary to cover laboratory hours of operation.
10. Aids in the training of new employees.
11. Competent skills and use of Electronic Health Record.
Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
(for CHI Leadership Job Levels from Supervisor through President)
Does Not Apply
Required Education for Staff Job Levels
Associates Degree in Laboratory Technology related area
Required Licensure and Certifications
ASCP or equivalent
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* An Associate degree from an accredited college with a combination of specific training in the area of medical technology and work experience will be considered after obtaining certification from one of the national registries.
* Must be certified by one of the following board/registries. ASCP, NCA, AMT, ASMT, HEW.
* Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
* Attends annual review and departmental inservices, as scheduled.
* Completes assigned LEARN modules and compliance courses as required.
* Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
* Actively participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
* Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
* Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the hospital, as well as the focus statement of the department.
CommonSpirit Health is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, parental status, ancestry, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
External hires must pass a post offer, pre-employment background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with an arrest and/or conviction will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, ban the box laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by telephone at (415) 438-5575 and let us know the nature of your request. We will only respond to messages left that involve a request for a reasonable accommodation in the application process. We will accommodate the needs of any qualified candidate who requests a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
CommonSpirit Health participates in E-verify.