Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio .
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir Bio is seeking a motivated and collaborative Research Associate to help drive new efforts in the discovery and development of novel therapies for the treatment of infectious disease. You will work within a highly collaborative group environment with other passionate scientists. The successful candidate, under guidance, will participate in discovery and translational research efforts aimed at identifying and characterizing novel therapeutic targets, investigating mechanism of action of therapeutics and defining optimal drug combinations through evaluation in the appropriate in vitro models.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
- Perform research in collaboration with others for the development of novel virus therapies in BSL2 setting.
- Assist in CRISPR screening, transcriptomic profiling and genetic validation of host directed compounds with opportunities to support high-throughput screening (HTS) efforts.
- Perform research on projects working with nucleic acid purification, qPCR, molecular cloning, next-generation sequencing, Western Blot, ELISA, fluorescence microscopy, and flow cytometry.
- Prepares technical reports, summaries, protocols, and quantitative analyses. Participate in weekly team meeting and documents data in ELN.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Preferred education: BA/BS and a minimum of 2 years post academic industry experience or MA/MS and a minimum of 1 years post academic industry experience
- Experience in mammalian cell culture (primary cell culture and immortalized cell lines) is required
- Experience with library preparation for next-generation sequencing, CRISPR screens and RNA Seq is preferred
- Hands-on experience in a wide variety of cell biology & molecular biology techniques
Vir's compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person's experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, one Friday a month paid-time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.