Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio .
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
The Vir Biotechnology Structural Biology group is seeking an experienced scientist to join our dynamic and collaborative team. The successful candidate will be responsible to deliver purified, recombinant protein for structural biology, biochemical and biophysical studies to support Vir's drug discovery efforts.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
- Plan the protein production workflow for the generation of antibodies, antigens, and other proteins in collaboration with group members and colleagues across the research department.
- Perform all relevant steps of the gene-to-protein process, including construct design, expression, purification, and protein characterization.
- Manage CROs for gene synthesis, protein production and other tasks as required.
- Crystallize proteins and protein complexes, and optimize crystallization conditions.
- Represent Structural Biology in project teams.
- Maintain a current understanding of relevant literature, methodologies and technologies related to protein chemistry as well as to specific drug discovery projects.
- Present results internally and externally.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- PhD in biochemistry, molecular and cell biology, structural biology or related field and 0+ years of relevant experience or MS with 6+ years additional experience
- Experience with protein production methods, techniques and equipment.
- Demonstrated track record of generating high-quality recombinant protein for structural biology, biophysics or assay development in a timely manner.
- Experience with biophysical methods of protein characterization, such as differential scanning fluorimetry, dynamic light scattering and binding studies.
- Working knowledge of mammalian expression systems.
- Familiarity with antibody engineering and production
- Hands-on experience with protein crystallization is preferred, but not required.
- Experience with infectious disease targets preferred.
Vir's compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person's experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, one Friday a month paid-time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.