Our Clinical and Pharmacovigilance teams manage studies to provide the safety and efficacy data required for regulatory approval of potential new drugs, vaccines and new indications for existing products. We ensure we conduct high quality clinical trials by integrating state-of-the-art technology and applying rigorous scientific and ethical standards.
Sterile and Specialty Products (SSP) group is responsible for developing non-oral dosage forms (injections, implants, inhaled, ocular) for small, intermediate, and large molecules from preclinical toxicology studies to commercialization. Our development teams ensure robust composition, primary packaging/ device, and process selection through deep fundamental understanding and characterization such that the process is scalable without compromising stability, safety, efficacy, and delivery. During development, we leverage smart experimental design, cutting edge analytical tools, and predictive approaches to inform molecule, formulation and process selection. In summary, our team enables the translation of preclinical candidates into non-oral drug products.
The successful candidate will be a passionate scientist with strong academic fundamentals and a drive to develop new medicines to improve human health. In this role, the individual will be responsible for supporting the formulation development of new biological/ chemical entities as part of a matrix team from initial first in human formulations to commercialization.
Additional responsibilities are as follows:
- Develops and applies basic principles and scientific concepts to execute work in a laboratory or pilot plant environment to develop sterile drug products.
- Builds capability to support manufacturing operations in GXP environments.
- Executes routine experiments and data interpretation with appropriate technical guidance.
- Ability to operate and troubleshoot equipment and processes.
- Capable of learning practical laboratory/pilot plant skills and fundamental scientific principles to utilize as part of their daily responsibilities.
- Can understand overall project timelines to manage prioritization of individual contributor deliverables with appropriate supervision.
- Works well with others in collaborative team environments.
- Take initiative, motivated to excel, have a strong technical background, have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds awareness of relevant new and current technologies to grow as a pharmaceutical scientist.
- Required: B.S. degree in Chemical/ Biochemical/ Biomedical Engineering, Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Materials Science or related field with 2+ years of related experience in sterile formulation development
- Preferred: M.S. degree in Chemical/ Biochemical/ Biomedical Engineering, Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Materials Science or related field plus some experience in sterile formulation development
Required Experience and Skills:
- Ability to learn and apply new scientific principles to the execution of daily responsibilities
- Demonstrated ability to collate and conduct basic data analysis
- Prior experience with Microsoft Office
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Prior experience in a laboratory environment
- Passion to learn and develop as a pharmaceutical scientist
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” and that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. And we believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
1st - Day
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: