United Therapeutics is a vaccinated work environment where all employees are expected to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination. We will provide any accommodations as required by law.
The job details are as follows:
What We Do
United Therapeutics Corporation focuses on the strength of a balanced, value-creating biotechnology model. We are confident in our future thanks to our fundamental attributes, namely our commitment to quality and innovation, the power of our brands, our entrepreneurial culture and our bioinformatics leadership. We also believe that our determination to be responsible citizens - having a positive impact on patients, the environment and society - will sustain our success in the long term.
We currently have five approved products on the market and a long-term mission of providing an unlimited supply of transplantable organs for those who need them.
Our company was founded by an entrepreneur whose daughter was diagnosed with a life-threatening condition. She sought to find treatment options and a cure for her daughter and patients like her. We are founder-led, and relentless in our pursuit of "medicines for life". We continue to research and develop treatments for cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases, pediatric cancers and other orphan diseases.
In 2021, we became the first publicly-traded biotech or pharmaceutical company to take the form of a public benefit corporation (PBC). Our public benefit purpose is to provide a brighter future for patients through (a) the development of novel pharmaceutical therapies; and (b) technologies that expand the availability of transplantable organs. At the same time, we seek to provide our shareholders with superior financial performance and our communities with earth-sensitive energy utilization.
How you’ll contribute
Are you a data geek? Do you get a thrill out of making things that “just work”? When you have a problem are you relentless until you figure it out? Are you a deeply technical person, yet understand the business impact and value that those technologies bring? So are we! We’re on a mission to rebuild our enterprise data warehouse to better support the future of United Therapeutics. Business has changed. Technology has changed. Our systems must change. We're looking for someone to join our team in RTP, NC, or someone who is willing to travel to our RTP, NC office with some frequency.
The Senior Data Engineer (GDO) will be responsible for sourcing, manipulating, and delivering data from partner feeds and third-party systems and will also develop and support our ETL process, cloud infrastructure, and next generation EDW. This role will work closely with the internal analysts and business intelligence team members to create a unified and extensible model for our new data warehouse. This role will have high impact and be an integral part of the transition from legacy technologies to modern scalable platforms. As part of the Global Data Operations & Analytics team, the Senior Data Engineer helps leaders and analysts throughout the organization access the data they need to answer questions and further growth.
- Independently build and maintain robust data pipelines to support our EDW, data marts, integrations, and third party applications
- Build solutions that follow standardized internal patterns and syntax requirements, are simple in nature, and seek to incur minimal technical debt
- Design solid and scalable data models that support creation, warehousing, analytics, and archival using industry standard designs such as star schemas or data vaults
- Develop highly performant SQL code as well as indexes that improves user interaction and maintainability
- Gain deep knowledge of our data and complex customer needs through interviews, interactions, documenting exercises, and code/data cleanup activities
- Document and maintain models, integrations, and code that are consumable at multiple technology skillset levels - logical, pseudocode, interface, data flows, etc.
- Work with contractors and other team members to deliver solutions that add business value while minimizing disruption and complication
- All other duties as required
For this role you will need
- Associates Degree in a related field, with 2+ years of relevant work experience in addition to the below required or
- 5+ years of relevant experience, including experience in a business-critical enterprise data warehouse
- 5+ years as an expert SQL programmer in both OLAP and OLTP systems
- 3+ years working on integrations with third party systems
- 3+ years working with data pipeline creation and management
- 3+ years working with AppDev and BI/AI team members
- 2+ years transitioning from on-premises to cloud infrastructure
- SQL Server; Azure Managed SQL
- Azure Data Factory
- Experience working with star schemas
- Experience building slowly changing dimensions
- Advanced ETL with impure, incomplete, and problematic source data
- Experience developing data models for use with business intelligence tools
- Experience with data validation
- Understanding of data security, privacy, and controls
- Exposure to Tableau or PowerBI
- Bachelor’s Degree in Arts/Sciences (BA/BS) in a related field
- Experience with Salesforce
- Experience with C# (preferred) or VB.Net
- Biotechnology or Pharma experience
- Data lake experience
- Working knowledge of code repositories (preferably Git)
At United Therapeutics, you’ll realize quickly that it is not an ordinary place to work! When you join our company, you will learn, grow, contribute, have fun, and be challenged... all while making a difference in the lives of our patients.
United Therapeutics Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - EOE Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities