About the Department
At Novo Nordisk, our Strategy, Finance, and Operations team works to provide strategic direction to the company, ensuring that everything we do is viable and built to last. Overseeing and safeguarding Novo Nordisk’s short and long-term planning, the Strategy, Finance and Operations team works closely with the business across the organization to develop strategies and business plans, monitor industry trends, and provide operating recommendations. We regulate accounting, uphold workplace safety, manage our supply chain and sampling, support technology, provide commercial insights & analytics, maintain our facilities and assure the integrity and completeness of all business transactions. At Novo Nordisk, you will have the opportunity to build a life-changing career in a global business environment. We encourage our employees to make the most of their talent. And we reward hard work and dedication with the opportunity for continuous learning and personal development. Are you ready to realize your potential?
The Senior Database Architect is responsible for setting the technology and strategic direction for Senior Database services at Novo Nordisk with a focus on SQL and Oracle server and related public cloud services and technologies. Conducts research, recommends and drives implementation of new Database solutions and services. Demonstrates an expert knowledge of Database technologies; both on prem (private cloud) and in the public cloud. Provides advisory and subject matter expertise to the lines of business, project teams, support vendors and Agile product teams.
The Senior Database Architect position is an individual contributor role, based in Plainsboro, NJ, and reports to the People Leader in North American Operations – Infrastructure. The Senior Database Architect is part of the Cloud & Corporate Infrastructure (C&CI) organization in Global IT Operations (GITO). GITO actively practices the SAFe Agile principles, processes, and best practices. The Senior Database Architect will be a contributing member of the Platform Agile team. All agile teams are considered global and are comprised of team members from the U.S., Denmark, and India. All teams work closely with numerous business stakeholders, our colleagues in Global IT, and our service and support vendors.
- Responsible for shaping overall architecture strategy for the Database services, including database technologies, business process, data, security, and solution architecture, while aligning architecture strategy with business needs
- Drive architecture reviews, implementation of and life cycle of on prem and cloud-based database services
- Responsible for providing technical advisory, subject matter expertise and operational support, as needed, in support of the enterprise, managed service providers and project teams
- Define and document future architectures and ensure scalability
- Ensure Database services and GISP (Global Infrastructure Standards Program) standards within area of responsibility align with IT Quality and IT Security requirements
- Grant dispensations in the event requirements are not aligned, and ensuring compensating controls are in place
- Review and granting dispensations requests for systems reaching end of Vendors support
- Review and approving Security compensating controls implementation by NNIT for individual systems
- Perform evaluations and GISP Standardizations of new Database Software versions (Oracle and SQL Server)
- Develop Requirements Specification for Database Software qualification by managed service providers and system owners
- Utilizes knowledge of the technology, lines of business and industry to make recommendations to future strategies and participates in the decision-making processes
- Help draft Database Service Packages as a part of onboarding new service agreements with vendors (NNIT and Accenture)
- Assists in and evaluates results of audits and assessments and participates in remediation
- Perform knowledge transfer when onboarding new database services to managed service providers (NNIT, Accenture)
- Ensures processes, projects and systems meet the requirements of established risk management practices
- Contribute to building business cases, ROI analysis and recommendations and present on same
- Present at periodic Agile demo sessions on subject matter related to database services
- Forge strong relationships with service providers, service managers and other key support personnel
10-20% overnight travel required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field preferred, or solid relevant experience may be substituted, when appropriate
- Technical certifications in SQL, Oracle preferred
- Technical certifications in AWS, Azure a plus
- Technical certifications in MS Windows Server or RHEL Linux a plus
- Professional certifications (ITIL foundation / practitioner) preferred
- A minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible experience in database administration and database architect roles in the Pharmaceutical industry
- Must possess strong experience with multiple relational and non-relational database technologies including SQL server, Oracle, Postgres, MySQL, RDS, Aroura, MongoDB, DynamoDB and Cosmos DB
- Experience with on prem SQL and Oracle as well as similar services in AWS and Azure cloud environments
- Working knowledge of GxP quality guidelines and regulations preferred
- Understanding of system qualification process and components
- Working knowledge of Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) and has experience with working in an Agile environment
- Ability to interact with all levels of personnel within and outside of the organization
- Ability to work across teams to drive deliverables to closure
- Demonstrated track record of providing technical solutions to a wide range of somewhat difficult problems
- Demonstrated track record of leadership behaviors
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- General understanding of virtualization and blade technologies
- Strong working knowledge of application, software (SDLC) and business development
- Strong working knowledge of client application support, application functionalities and system requirements
- Understanding of Information Systems infrastructure, including WAN, LAN, converged datacenter technology
- Strong understanding of ITIL Framework, ITSM processes. (Incident, Problem, Change)
- Strong working knowledge of IT Management, including policy and planning development, security management, documentation development, budgeting, knowledge management, auditing, and vendor management
We commit to an inclusive recruitment process and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
At Novo Nordisk we recognize that it is no longer good enough to aspire to be the best company in the world. We need to aspire to be the best company for the world and we know that this is only possible with talented employees with diverse perspectives, backgrounds and cultures. We are therefore committed to creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the diversity of our employees, the patients we serve and communities we operate in. Together, we’re life changing.
Novo Nordisk is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.
Novo Nordisk requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Novo Nordisk will consider requests for reasonable accommodation.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.