Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio .
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Reporting to the Vice President of Corporate Communications, the Senior Director of Corporate Communications will be responsible for supporting the development and execution of the corporate and internal communications strategy. The ideal candidate has a strong grounding in scientific writing; established relationships with traditional and social media outlets; experience interacting with patient advocates and third-party advocacy organizations; internal communications experience; an understanding of business strategies/objectives and priorities; the ability to influence others and drive alignment across teams.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Help define Public Relations and Internal Communications strategies for the organization that achieve business objectives and convey the unique value of Vir and its platforms and programs
- Build and enhance relationships with external media outlets including news, business, and industry trade publications, with both traditional and digital media; garner local, regional and national coverage of Vir to meet objectives
- Actively lead and direct external agency partners; coordinate with Vir's corporate partners
- Support development of all PR materials, including press releases, Q&As, website content, executive talking points, fact sheets, etc., in collaboration with external agency colleagues, our corporate partners, and internal colleagues in Investor Relations, Government Affairs & Policy, Legal, Alliance Management, and other parts of the organization
- Prepare company spokespeople for media interviews and other engagements, including training spokespeople, as needed, and ensuring that company's spokespeople are prepared to address issues as they emerge
- Identify external opportunities, including media interviews, speaking engagements at industry conferences, and other forums to showcase Vir thought leadership
- Define and lead the strategy, planning, and implementation of a robust social media presence
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across the organization to ensure alignment and visibility of communications initiatives across functions
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's Degree; advanced degree preferred
- 12-15 years of public relations experience in a life science company or at a public relations firm working with biotech/pharmaceutical clients
- Strong understanding of scientific concepts and ability to translate technical language comprehensive terms. Prior experience in infectious disease communications preferred.
- Experience crafting and implementing successful traditional media, social media, and internal communications strategies
- Ability to collaborate, facilitate, influence, and organize across multiple groups and levels of an organization
- Understanding of SEC and FDA regulations impacting communications
- Outstanding attention to detail
This role may be performed remotely if VIR can support remote work arrangements in the state where you currently reside. This includes most states within the US. If you move forward in the hiring process, VIR recruiters will discuss options with you.
Vir's compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person's experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.