Senior Embedded Firmware Engineer
Purpose of the Position
Thorlabs is seeking anA embedded firmware engineer to participate in the development of next-generation scientific instruments primarily microscopes. We are seeking an insightful, talented and dedicated engineer to contribute to our fast-paced and dynamic R&D environment within Thorlabsa Imaging Systems Division. The successful candidate will plan, design, develop, and implement real-time firmware for microcontrollers to be used in complex instruments. The candidate is also expected to develop basic software and user interfaces for testing. Activities include design documentation, prototype verification and debug, test development, and transfer to manufacturing. This position requires troubleshooting complex electronics and system problems and is committed to customer satisfaction. Preference will be given to candidates with a broad range of interests and skills. The location of the position is in Sterling, VA--may be required occasionally to undertake duties at other Thorlabs or customer locations.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Develop embedded firmware to control and or monitor many different optical, mechanical, and electrical components within an integrated system
- Design and support documentation including, but not limited to: firmware theory of operation, SDK definition, source control, and revision tracking, test procedures, and end useras manuals.
- Work closely with software group to maximize functionality and technology usage
- Take a design from an initial concept through prototyping, debugging, and manufacturing phases
- Manage project timeline
- Troubleshoot and resolve electronics-related system issues
- Develop test fixtures for manufacturing
- Assist and/or troubleshoot our production team when problems arise
- 2+ yearsa experience with embedded software / firmware, and debugging
- Knowledge of motion control with different type of actuators
- Knowledge of Analog or Digital boards and systems
- Knowledge of video acquisition and frame construction
- Interact with outside customers, suppliers, and functional peer groups.
- Knowledge of microscope laser scanning devices
- Knowledge of electronics design for scientific, biotech, and medical instrumentation
- BS in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Thorough understanding of embedded hardware, such as a microprocessor and microcontroller-based control and monitoring circuits.
- Proficient in C, C++, C#, and Eclipse IDE.
- Proficient in using an oscilloscope.
- Direct experience working with FreeRTOS.
- Exposure to version control software, preferably Git.
- PID control implementation in Firmware.
- Experience with developing firmware for real-time I2C, SPI, USB protocols.
- Proven expertise in troubleshooting and resolving electronic issues in instruments.
- Familiarity with design and implementation of optoelectronic circuits and control systems.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Team player.
- Strong innovation skills.