Our Clinical Research and Pharmacovigilance team push the boundaries of global healthcare through research and innovation. Through clinical trials and surveillance, we ensure the safety and efficacy of our existing and pipeline products to produce safe, effective, innovative medicine.
Impact our team as a Medical Writer!
Our Medical Writing Department strives to be the premier regulatory documentation organization in the bio-pharmaceutical industry. Our Medical Writers are integral to helping bring medical breakthroughs to the world. Through clinical trials and surveillance, we ensure the safety and efficacy of our existing and pipeline products to produce safe, effective, and innovative medicine. We rely on expert skills and inventiveness that contribute to solutions to the most pressing health challenges.
The Senior Medical Writer is responsible for development of medical writing deliverables that support the clinical regulatory writing portfolio and works with some guidance and oversight to achieve goals.
In this role the Senior Medical Writer:
- Is recognized as a scientific contributor and subject matter expert in preparation of selected regulatory clinical documentation
- Applies knowledge of regulatory medical writing and therapeutic area/investigational product to support pipeline projects
- Represents medical writing in cross-functional teams
- Demonstrates competence in writing, editing, and reviewing clinical study reports, investigator brochures, registration dossier modules, and other clinical regulatory documents per company and other guidelines
- Interprets data and applies knowledge of regulatory/compliance/scientific requirements to document preparation
- Manages medical writing projects including the design, planning, and preparation of clinical documentation in support of clinical development, trials, and sections of filings
- Solves problems associated with medical writing scope of work, seeks advice from management and others as needed, and exercises negotiation and communication skills with project team members
- May participate in orientation and coaching of junior team members or contractor writers
- Participates in or leads initiatives to improve medical writing processes and standards
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- Degree in a life science, preferably related to pharmacy or medicine
- Bachelor's degree with 5+ years; MS with 4+ years; or doctoral-level degree (e.g., PhD, MD, DVM, DO, PharmD) with 3+ years of relevant career experience
- Ability to prepare, with minimal supervision, a subset of clinical regulatory documents (e.g., CSR, IB, clinical sections of IND/IMPD and CTD) according to company guidelines and international governmental regulations, and to present clinical data objectively in a clear, concise format in keeping with industry guidelines
- Demonstrated participation in medical writing, document, and project teams
- Technical expertise in typical office Applications (e.g., Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat) and in shared document systems (e.g., Google Docs, SharePoint). Familiarity with concepts of structured content management preferred
- Demonstrated excellent presentation, writing, and project management skills
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we "follow the science" that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are ...
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for ...
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us-and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
For positions located in the United States and Puerto Rico - Subject to applicable law, all new hires (including internal transfers) must demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or that they qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement. New hires (including internal transfers) to a position that, as determined by the Company, requires routine collaboration with external stakeholders (such as roles in health services or customer-facing commercial or research-based roles) ("Customer-Facing Role") who are not vaccinated must qualify for a medical or religious exemption and be in a position that the Company determines can accommodate unvaccinated employees without causing an undue burden to business operations. If, following dialog with the candidate as appropriate, it is determined that the candidate either a) does not qualify for a religious or medical exemption or, b) for candidates applying for Customer-Facing roles, it is determined that allowing the candidate to work without vaccination would cause an undue burden to the Company, the candidate will be ineligible for hire or transfer, or any offer of employment or transfer (if applicable) will be revoked. Please note that notwithstanding the approval of any reasonable accommodation, the Company reserves the right to monitor, modify, or revoke any such accommodation if it is determined, following dialog with the employee, that the accommodation is no longer effective or results in an undue burden to the Company.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
Secondary Language(s) Job Description
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC Know Your Rights
EEOC GINA Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another's thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Under New York City, Washington State and California State law, the Company is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the salary range for this job. Final determinations with respect to salary will take into account a number of factors, which may include, but not be limited to the primary work location and the chosen candidate's relevant skills, experience, and education.
Expected salary range:
$107,600.00 - $169,400.00
For Washington State Jobs, a summary of benefits is listed here.
Learn more about your rights, including under California, Colorado and other US State Acts
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: