Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio .
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir Biotechnology is seeking a highly motivated and collaborative Senior Research Associate to join our Clinical Virology team and support efforts in the development of novel therapies for the treatment of respiratory diseases. The successful candidate will join Vir's efforts in discovery and translational research aimed at development of novel therapeutic programs, including assay development to support clinical programs, resistance development, and conducting key biological studies to support drug programs. You will work cross-functionally and be exposed to other groups within the company to advance programs from discovery into development, supporting both the preclinical research and the clinical teams at Vir.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Supports clinical virology programs, including assay development through implementation into clinical programs
- Independently conducts scientific research to support the development of infectious disease therapies
- Responsible for the design and execution of laboratory experiments utilizing expertise in virology, molecular biology, and cell biology in a BSL-2+ laboratory environment. Some BSL-3 work may be required.
- Creates day-to-day activities to maintain project timelines, keeping accurate records of experimental details and results related to assigned projects.
- Participates in authoring of protocols and technical reports
- Participates in the development and conduct of laboratory meetings, updating group members on background and status of projects by giving oral updates or internal presentations.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's/Bachelor's with a minimum of 2 to 4 years of relevant experience in microbiology, virology, molecular and cell biology, or a related field strongly preferred
- Highly skilled in cell culture and molecular biology techniques required
- Experience and proficiency in virology techniques strongly preferred, such as cell-based infectious models, cloning and/or genomics, plaque assays, and neutralization assays.
- Experience working in a BSL-3 laboratory environment is a plus
- Ability to work in a high paced team environment, meet deadlines, and flexibly prioritize work from multiple projects.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and ability to work on inter-disciplinary and cross-functional teams.
Vir's compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person's experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.
Candidate Privacy Notice