Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio .
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir Biotechnology is seeking a highly motivated and collaborative Scientist to support efforts in the discovery and development of novel therapies for the treatment of infectious diseases with a focus on Hepatitis B and Hepatitis D Virus infections. The successful candidate will participate in discovery and translational research efforts aimed at identifying and characterizing novel therapeutic targets, investigating mechanism of action of therapeutics and defining optimal drug combinations through evaluation in the appropriate in vitro and in vivo models of viral infection. You will work cross-functionally and be exposed to other groups within the company such as Pharmacology, Medicinal Chemistry, Immunology, Structural Biology, and Bioinformatics. You will design and perform virological studies, report study results, manage CROs, take an active role in project team discussions, as well as participate to regulatory submission supporting activities.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Independently conducts scientific research to support the development of novel infectious disease therapies with focus on Hepatitis B and Hepatitis D Virus infections.
- Designs and performs studies to identify, evaluate and characterize antiviral molecules of different drug modalities (antibody, nucleic acid, small molecule) in a BSL-2 laboratory environment.
- Maintains a current understanding of relevant literature and scientific advances relevant to specific programs.
- Represents Virology in project teams
- Co-authors protocols, technical reports, publications and regulatory submissions, including supporting non-clinical pharmacology data packages.
- Provides input into the strategy and design of drug development projects.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Preferred: PhD/JD/PharmD in microbiology, virology, molecular and cell biology, biochemistry or a related field OR MA/MS/MBA with a minimum of 6 years experience OR BA/BS with a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience
- Experience in virology techniques such as virus production, cell-based infectious models, infection readouts (ELISA, virus titration, quantitative PCR, immunostaining), viral reverse genetics systems, and more.
- Experience with HBV and/or HDV is highly desirable.
- Complex problem solving- and analytical skills, critical thinking, strive for scientific excellence
- Solid communication and organizational skills; attention to detail while working in a fast-paced environment.
Vir's compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person's experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.