We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world's biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
The Vaccine Drug Product Development in our Research & Development Division, West Point, PA is seeking a talented engineer to join our team in a Senior Scientist role. The successful candidate will be expected to work as part of a team that is focused on the development of various innovative technology platforms and vaccine drug products. The main responsibilities include the design and execution of experiments to support process development and Front-End Loading (FEL) activities for improvements associated with Innovative Drying technology platform and other capital projects that require complex problem analysis and solutions.
The successful candidate will be able to work in a fast-paced team environment and be able to lead technical and engineering development of Innovative Drying technologies to establish clinical capabilities within Merck's network while ensuring a Line of Sight to Commercial. This position will work effectively and efficiently with our Engineering Services, Process Automation, Project Management, Process Safety, Manufacturing, and other stakeholders in the execution of projects. The candidate will assist with scale-up activities and engineering solutions to advance multiple projects. The candidate should possess technical knowledge and/or experience related to capital project charters, equipment and process development, performing Factory Acceptance and Site Acceptance Testing (FAT/SAT). The candidate will participate and support the capital project and process development teams focusing on benchmarking the technology, preparing basic engineering packages and contributing to safe, efficient and reliable designs of options to meet business initiatives. The candidate will participate as a discipline member on process hazard reviews and Risk assessment for capital projects and existing process flows. Experience with CMC aspects of biopharmaceuticals and working knowledge of formulation development, lyophilization or other drying technologies is a plus. Strong communication and collaborations skills as well as good documentation practices are essential.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Ph.D. in Biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, Material Sciences or related discipline
- M.S. (4 years + experience) in Biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, Material Sciences or related discipline
- B.S. (6 years + experience) in Biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, Material Sciences or related discipline
Required Experience and Skills:
• Drug Product development experience with biopharmaceuticals
• Experience with process design and/or scale-up in the clinical or commercial space, including process flow diagrams & engineering drawings
• Experience defining User Requirements and reviewing vendor designs to ensure compliance to specifications
• Knowledgeable of the Capital Process having participated on a large capital project team
• Exposure to project / engineering work process and deliverables
• Ability to design, execute, and interpret experiments that will guide technology selection & develop Critical Process Parameters
• Experience in equipment Fabrication, FAT/SAT, start-up, qualification and/or validation is preferred
• Experience in the CMC aspects of biopharmaceutical development and the importance of the process changes to Regulatory filings
• Working knowledge of lyophilization and/or other drying unit operations
• Ability to drive innovation and think outside-the-box, but work within the constraints of the overall project timeline and budget
• Experience with designing stability studies and interpreting results
• Experience with preparation of safety assessment supplies and clinical supplies manufacturing
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills
• Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task
Preferred Experience and Skills:
• Independence in experimental planning & execution; pro-active in problem solving
• Experience with sterile unit operations and knowledgeable of the Sterile Standards and equipment design standards
• Understanding of the drug product manufacturing process and scale-up considerations
• Experience with aseptic processing
• Ability to interact on cross-functional teams and communicate with a wide range of scientists and engineers
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
OFCCP Pay Transparency Rule
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
No Travel Required
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Live Virus Vaccines, Reagents and Materials
Number of Openings: