Our Animal Health Research Laboratories Team work tirelessly to invent solutions to improve the health and wellbeing of animals. Our state-of-the-art research facilities create an environment of innovation that enable us to create breakthrough science changing the way we approach animal health challenges.
We are seeking a Growth and Improvement minded Senior Scientist | Biology-Discovery that can help drive our Strategic Operating Priorities.
- Invent | Pursue the Most Promising Internal and External Science to Address Significant Unmet Medical Needs
- Execute | Prioritize Resources Behind Our Key Growth Drivers (Oncology, Vaccines, Select Specialty Areas, Animal Health) While Optimizing Our Base Business)
- Adapt | Develop Our People, Culture and Business Model to Evolve with a Dynamic Landscape
- Diverse Talent | We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment with supporting leadership behaviors because having a high-performing, engaged workforce is critical to our ability to deliver innovative solutions to patients and customers around the world
- Values and Standards | Our Steadfast Commitment to Our Values and Standards will Continue to Guide Us as We Take on New Opportunities and Will Always be Fundamental to Our Success - They are a Competitive Advantage for Us
Summary, Focus and Purpose
The Senior Scientist will be engaged in complex research activities within our company's Animal Health division in support of licensure of vaccines for use in swine and will assist with project planning, study execution and reporting, and be involved with the daily work direction of Laboratory Technicians. Activities will require close collaboration with Supervisor, other Scientists, and Research Management.
- Work Independently and as a Team member with Integrity | Precision | Accomplishment | Motivational Ambition | Respect | Inclusion
- Conduct assigned research work, including the preparation of draft protocols, execution of laboratory work, coordination of animal study activities, data analysis, and report preparation
- Complete lab activities according to company and departmental procedures | Laboratory work involves standard microbiological procedures including aseptic technique, cell culture, propagation and titration of viruses and bacteria and optimization of tissue culture methods
- Assistance in the development, optimization and validation of potency tests and other assays, including ELISA, HPLC and flow cytometry, optimization of vaccine formulations and freeze-dry processes
- Assist in transfer of technology and discussion/communication at team meetings
- Train Laboratory Technicians on laboratory work and assist in monitoring their assigned work to maintain good quality and compliance with policies and procedures
- Manage own activities as they relate to team projects, and develop timelines for portions of team's projects to meet established goals and timelines
- Fulfill general tasks within the organization related to lab maintenance, safety and equipment initiatives, etc.
- Serve as Study Investigator on projects in support of vaccine licensure
- Write routine study protocols | Assist in the creation of study designs to achieve valid results | Assist in writing more complex laboratory and animal study protocols | Write study reports for routine work with limited supervision
- Conduct literature searches, read scientific journals and apply findings to improve current work
- Master's degree in Microbiology, Immunology, Animal Science or a related field with five years relevant work experience, OR a Ph.D. in Virology, Microbiology, Immunology, Animal Science or related field
Experience | Skills | Knowledge
- Experience conducting research project activities and planning of timelines with minimal supervision
- Experience teaching laboratory coursework or training laboratory technicians and assay development
- Strong computer skills including knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Principled and strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working with swine or livestock animals
- Experience in vaccine development research or related field
- Experience working with technical and analytical equipment | Data management and analysis
- Knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices and Good Clinical Practices
Our Animal Health Division is a trusted global leader in veterinary medicine, dedicated to preserving and improving health, well-being, and performance of animals and the people who care for them. We are a global team of professionals working together to make a positive difference in animal care and the world's food supply and have a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and our planet.
Through our commitment to The Science of Healthier Animals®, we offer veterinarians, farmers, pet owners and governments one of the widest ranges of veterinary pharmaceuticals, vaccines and health management solutions and services as well as an extensive suite of digitally connected identification, traceability and monitoring products. We invest in dynamic and comprehensive R&D resources and a modern, global supply chain. We are present in more than 50 countries, while our products are available in some 150 markets.
Who we are ...
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for ...
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us-and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Residents of Colorado
Click here to request this role's pay range.
For positions located in the United States and Puerto Rico - Subject to applicable law, all new hires (including internal transfers) must demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or that they qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement. New hires (including internal transfers) to a position that, as determined by the Company, requires routine collaboration with external stakeholders (such as roles in health services or customer-facing commercial or research-based roles) ("Customer-Facing Role") who are not vaccinated must qualify for a medical or religious exemption and be in a position that the Company determines can accommodate unvaccinated employees without causing an undue burden to business operations. If, following dialog with the candidate as appropriate, it is determined that the candidate either a) does not qualify for a religious or medical exemption or, b) for candidates applying for Customer-Facing roles, it is determined that allowing the candidate to work without vaccination would cause an undue burden to the Company, the candidate will be ineligible for hire or transfer, or any offer of employment or transfer (if applicable) will be revoked. Please note that notwithstanding the approval of any reasonable accommodation, the Company reserves the right to monitor, modify, or revoke any such accommodation if it is determined, following dialog with the employee, that the accommodation is no longer effective or results in an undue burden to the Company.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC Know Your Rights
EEOC GINA Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another's thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Residents of Colorado:
Click here to request this role's pay range.
Learn more about your rights, including under California, Colorado and other US State Acts
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: