About the Department
Our US Research & Development hub, located in the Greater Boston area, brings together the best talent to drive life science innovation. Located in Lexington, Watertown and Cambridge, our teams reflect the full scope of R&D, from early research through late-stage clinical development. We are building for the future by creating a distinct R&D community based on collaboration, partnerships, and cutting-edge research across multiple modalities and therapeutic areas. We recognize that improving human health starts here and that patients rely on us. By combining the speed and agility of biotech with the quality, resources, and stability of a large pharmaceutical company, our US R&D hub will benefit from the best of both worlds to develop new medicines that meet the needs of patients.
The Senior Scientist in the Non-Viral Delivery department is a part of the RNA & Gene Therapy CVP team. In RNA & Gene Therapies, there are four specialized departments: non-viral delivery, Viral delivery, RNA Technologies, and Genome Editing. The Senior Scientist is a subject matter expert in design and synthesis of novel non-viral delivery systems, contributing to the overall success of RNA & Gene Therapy area in advancing the portfolio and applications of nucleic acid therapies.
Reports to Senior Director and head of Non-Viral Delivery.
Interacts with peers who specialize in non-viral delivery manufacturing and characterization, In vitro and in vivo bioassays and POC studies, Maturing platform, Peers in Malov, NVD, RNA> area wide, External partners and collaborators, GRT & GDD.
- As a Specialist in the Non-Viral Delivery department, you will become a part of a multinational and diverse team consisting of Laboratory Technicians, Specialist/Scientists, and a global department manager. The goal of the team is to develop synthetic/non-viral nanomedicines, apply advanced analytical characterisation techniques and translate these to preclinical and clinical studies through internal and external collaborations
- Identifies gaps in technological capabilities and therapeutic areas and provides recommendations to guide the research agenda
- Represents the organization through external communication of impactful scientific research in the form of presentation at external conferences and publication in scientific journals and patents. May manage external collaborations
- Provides significant mentorship and training of junior staff
- Designing and applying lipids or other synthetic biomaterials for the syntheses of intracellular delivery systems
- Routinely formulate and characterize LNPs at small to mid-scale using microfluidics
- Evaluate LNP formulations using cell-based assays and collaborate with in vivo animal teams for platform screening
- Optimize LNP formulations by medium to high-throughput screening to enhance therapeutic margins:
- Develop and transfer development operations for producing high-quality LNP materials for large animal efficacy and toxicity studies to internal/external teams
- Optimize long-term storage and stability conditions of LNPs
- Develop robust analytical methods and bioassays for LNP CQA and CPP
- Communicate findings internally to team via presentations and written reports
Some travel, national.
- 18+ years’ relevant experience required or a master’s degree within subject matter expertise with 12+ years’ relevant experience or a Doctoral degree within subject matter expertise with 6+ years’ post-doctoral and/or industry relevant experience can be considered
- Subject matter expertise in Organic Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Drug Delivery, or related scientific disciplines
In-depth and hands-on experience in a range of synthesis, characterisation, and purification techniques, including but not limited to NMR, HPLC (analytical and preparative), Mass Spectrometry, IR, silica gel and reverse phase chromatography, TLC, recrystallization etc.
- Leading implementation of the LNP-based platform
- Designing and applying lipids for the syntheses of lipid nanoparticles (LNP)
- Acting as formulation subject matter expert for non-viral delivery of nucleic acid therapeutics. Experience with multiple formulation methods (microfluidics, T-mixer, etc.)
- Experience with analytical method development for LNP size, concentration, encapsulation efficiency, potency assays, HPLC assays for lipid composition analysis, etc.
- Experience with a broad range of molecular, cell-based assays and in vivo imaging/pooled formulations for evaluating delivery formulation performance is a must have
- Experience tech transfer to GMP manufacturing, regulatory filings is desirable
- Experience with high-throughput screening methods such as DoE for optimizing LNP formulations is a plus
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Advanced understanding of lipid self-assembly mechanisms underpinning LNP formulations, mechanistic insights of LNP uptake and cytosolic availability of payload is desirable
- Experience with SAXS/SANS/AF4, proteomics will be an attractive advantage
- Demonstrate awareness of external trends, influences, and advances in the landscape of LNP delivery and clinical translation
- Experience with automation is considered an advantage
- Proven track record in publishing in HQ/HI journals on relevant topics. Seen as an expert in external consortia
We commit to an inclusive recruitment process and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
At Novo Nordisk we recognize that it is no longer good enough to aspire to be the best company in the world. We need to aspire to be the best company for the world and we know that this is only possible with talented employees with diverse perspectives, backgrounds and cultures. We are therefore committed to creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the diversity of our employees, the patients we serve and communities we operate in. Together, we’re life changing.
Novo Nordisk is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.