Senior Vice President, The Lewin Group
The Lewin Group, a part of OptumServe, is a premier national health care and human services consulting and policy analysis firm with nearly 50 years of experience finding answers and solving problems for leading organizations in the public, non-profit, and private sectors. Lewin's strategic and analytical services aim to help clients:
- Improve policy and expand knowledge of health care and human service systems
- Enact, run, and evaluate programs to enhance delivery and financing of health care and family services
- Deal with shifts in health care practice, technology, and regulation
- Optimize performance, quality, coverage, and health outcomes
- Create strategies for institutions, communities, associations, foundations, governments, and people to make health care and human services systems more effective
In the wide-ranging field of human services consulting, The Lewin Group provides both depth and breadth of expertise. Currently, Lewin has more than 300 consultants drawn from industry, government and academia. They all share a strong commitment to Lewin's core values of objectivity, integrity, analytical innovation, vision and dedication to client satisfaction.
At Lewin, the Federal Health and Human Services practice helps federal decision-makers strengthen health and human services programs and make informed policy choices. Lewin also works with foundations and associations to research and evaluate complex health care and human services needs. By delivering objective, data-driven research, technical assistance, and evaluations including access to proprietary data sets, Lewin is able to support current program activities, inform future program investments and support strategic decision processes.
The Lewin Group provides research and consulting services including program planning and development, implementation services, and post-implementation analytics and evaluation to assist the federal government in designing programs that improve the health and well-being of the nation's citizens.
The Senior Vice President will provide support on a number of projects including program design, evaluations, policy analysis etc. She/he will manage complex projects steeped in quantitative and qualitative analysis and play a key role in the support of projects at the practice level. The Senior Vice President will be charged with creating a cohesive strategy for sector growth and executing against that strategy. In collaboration with current staff across the organization, the Senior Vice President will work to provide unparalleled client service, produce the highest quality deliverables, and innovate across the market.
From a relationship and business growth perspective, s/he will be responsible for developing new client relationships, attaining new contracts, and broadening the firm's work in this space. While managing and attaining their own individual new business development goal, the Senior Vice President will strengthen and grow key client relationships and build upon their reputation as a trusted advisor to those organizations regarding health care program evaluations. S/he will also advance business development opportunities for team members.
In terms of execution, the Senior Vice President will build upon a successful track record of performance and a reputation for delivering desired results. S/he will foster a culture of accountability and high performance within communicated project timelines.
From a team leadership perspective, s/he will engage quickly and directly with internal and external stakeholders and proactively partner with senior leaders to drive to conclusions and think creatively. The Senior Vice President will be a leader, and notably one who can build on the energy and momentum of his/her growing team. S/he will identify and develop key hires to augment the functional skill set at the Capability level.
The Senior Vice President will also recognize the unique value proposition inherent in Lewin's expertise serving the health care space and will advance the team's and firm's reputation in the area. The successful candidate will possess an unbiased, approach and will act quickly to establish himself/herself as a trusted member of the team and be relied upon to lead the team effectively and with commitment.
- Cultivate and deepen senior executive, C-suite, agency, constituent and complex client relationships
- Demonstrate strategic thinking and innovation based on knowledge of the market, competitors and solutions
- Maintain a highly credible professional profile within the industry
- Coordinate strategy with technology solutions to respond to new/ongoing customer needs and future product development
- Ensure greater alignment with OptumServe and Optum by collaboration and sharing best practices
- Create a work environment that sustains high employee engagement and retention of talent, ensure Lewin is a great place to work
- Design and conduct studies that require advance empirical methods or mixed quantitative and qualitative evaluation methods
- Supervise research staff, ensuring that all projects are conducted with sound analytic methods
- Draft research reports, interpret and present findings to technical and non-technical audiences
- Support technical proposal writing
- Serve as a resource to other staff in methodological or health care policy areas
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Senior health policy professional with 15+ years industry experience in health research analysis, evaluation and/or policy expertise including strong analytic skills and advanced degree (Masters or Ph.D.) in economics, health policy research or similar discipline
- 6-10 years of experience leading the design and execution of projects and policy studies and managing a team of senior staff through execution
- Broad understanding of federal health policy issues, with ability to work in multiple areas serving as a subject matter expert
- Experience leading, designing and conducting program evaluations, preferably for federal programs, including those at CMS
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to translate complex findings to non-technical audiences
- Highly motivated, with demonstrated success working as a team member in a fast-paced interdisciplinary environment
- Strong business acumen - well regarded within health policy, research, and/or consulting environment(s), with experience working within or on behalf of major agencies
- Experience attaining revenue targets, and managing multiple, sophisticated projects and adept at business development (demonstrated success achieving individual new business development goals)
- Proven skills in the development, implementation and execution of strategic plans, the integration of complex projects, and the ability to identify future opportunities
- Expertise in one of the following areas: applied microeconomics, labor economics, applied econometrics, health policy, program evaluation
- Experience using advanced analytic or computational methods
- Must be conversant with the policies and institutions that define the US health care system
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, intellectual curiosity
- Ability to explain complex economic and analytic concepts to non-technical audiences
- 10+ years of experience analyzing health care data, especially Medicare, Medicaid and/or commercial claims data or public use data sources such as the American Community Survey, Current Population Survey, and the Medical Expenditure Panel Survey
- Ability to travel frequently, up to 50-70%
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group's Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.