We’re a Little Different
Our mission is clear. We bring to life a healing ministry through our compassionate care and exceptional service.
At Mercy, we believe in careers that match the unique gifts of unique individuals – careers that not only make the most of your skills and talents, but also your heart. Join us and discover why Modern Healthcare Magazine named us in its “Top 100 Places to Work.”
The Care Management model provides effective transition planning and length of stay oversight while encompassing quality patient care, patient safety, and financial components; promotes integration of a seamless care model; coordinates patient throughput; encourages healthcare team collaboration and coordination as evidenced by metrics; and optimizes performance and adoption of best practice.
The Social Worker II, as part of the Care Management team, intervenes with patients who have complex or high-risk psychosocial needs. In addition, the Social Worker II offers crisis intervention to patients and families and coordinates and facilitates the development of a discharge plan of care. This role receives referrals for individuals from at-risk populations from interdisciplinary team members (including physicians, Care Managers, staff nurses and other members of the care team). The Social Worker II performs duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with the Mercy mission, values, and Service Standards.
- Provide the professional Social Work component of the inpatient Care Management model to ensure that department services support quality patient care and safety, communication, education and financial components while coordinating patient throughput.
- Complete psychosocial assessments and interventions with high-risk, complex patient populations.
- Intervene with patients and families regarding emotional, social, and financial consequences of illness/disability and mobilize resources to meet needs.
- Provide case intervention for child abuse/neglect, adult abuse/neglect, domestic violence, sexual assault, guardianship, and adoption.
- Provide resources and education while advocating for patient empowerment to make autonomous healthcare decisions and access needed services within the healthcare system.
- Participate in discharge planning activities for complex patients to ensure timely discharge and linkage with appropriate post-acute care providers.
- Support Care Management plans and processes to measure, assess and improve quality patient outcomes and Care Management metrics.
- Exhibit behavior and adopt practices to ensure optimal risk management and financial stability.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior and provide confidentiality in all Care Management interactions.
- Maintain timely documentation of all patient interactions including assessment and interventions, as per Care Management protocols.
- Portray a positive professional public image at all times.
- Promote individual growth and accountability by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency.
- Serve as preceptor, mentor, and social work resource to other co-workers at Mercy.
- Demonstrate Mercy mission, values and charism.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Master's in Social Work, Required, or has satisfactorily completed all requirements for the MSW but awaiting conferment by the educational facility, for all Social Worker IIs hired after 12/25/2011.
(Social Worker IIs hired before December 2011 met previous job description education requirements.)
Current license in Social Work in the state of employment (LMSW, LCSW), Minimum
0-2 years experience in acute care hospital setting, Minimum Preferred
BLS (CPR) at hire date, required, or within 90 days of hire
Other Skills & Knowledge
- Strong verbal and written communication and facilitation skills.
- Strong assessment skills, time management skills, critical thinking skills.
- Advanced computer skills.
- The assessment, care and treatment provided by Social Worker II will be consistent with the specific age-related needs of the patient. Is competent to care for patient age groups including neonatal/infant, child, adolescent, adult and geriatric adult patients.
- Skills and knowledge of human behavior and clinical aspects of medical Social Work.
- Ability to interact effectively with a variety of people and situations at all levels of the organization.
We Offer Great Benefits:
Day-one comprehensive health, vision and dental coverage, PTO, tuition reimbursement and employer-matched retirement funds are just a few of the great benefits offered to eligible co-workers, including those working 48 hours or more per pay period!
We’re bringing to life a healing ministry through compassionate care.
At Mercy, our supportive community will be behind you every step of your day, especially the tough ones. You will have opportunities to pioneer new models of care and transform the health care experience through advanced technology and innovative procedures. We’re expanding to help our communities grow. Join us and be a part of it all.
What Makes You a Good Match for Mercy?
Compassion and professionalism go hand-in-hand with us. Having a positive outlook and a strong sense of advocacy is in perfect step with our mission and vision. We’re also collaborative and unafraid to do a little extra to deliver excellent care – that’s just part of our commitment. If that sounds like a good fit for you, we encourage you to apply.
Mercy has determined this is a safety-sensitive position. The ability to work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner is an essential function of this job.