The job details are as follows:
What We Do
United Therapeutics Corporation focuses on the strength of a balanced, value-creating biotechnology model. We are confident in our future thanks to our fundamental attributes, namely our commitment to quality and innovation, the power of our brands, our entrepreneurial culture and our bioinformatics leadership. We also believe that our determination to be responsible citizens - having a positive impact on patients, the environment and society - will sustain our success in the long term.
We currently have five approved products on the market and a long-term mission of providing an unlimited supply of transplantable organs for those who need them.
Our company was founded by an entrepreneur whose daughter was diagnosed with a life-threatening condition. She sought to find treatment options and a cure for her daughter and patients like her. We are founder-led, and relentless in our pursuit of "medicines for life". We continue to research and develop treatments for cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases, pediatric cancers and other orphan diseases.
In 2021, we became the first publicly-traded biotech or pharmaceutical company to take the form of a public benefit corporation (PBC). Our public benefit purpose is to provide a brighter future for patients through (a) the development of novel pharmaceutical therapies; and (b) technologies that expand the availability of transplantable organs. At the same time, we seek to provide our shareholders with superior financial performance and our communities with earth-sensitive energy utilization.
How you’ll contribute
Are you a career technologist whose passion for people and process is just as strong as your passion for tech? Does putting “everything in its right place” bring you joy? Can you meet almost any technical challenge with confidence and humor? Do you celebrate detail and instantly question a lack thereof? If so - we’re looking for you! The IT Architecture and Business Enablement (ABE) team is a group of highly motivated, highly technical professionals on a mission to provide all employees with better systems through technology. We’re looking for a new architect to join our team in RTP, NC where you will have a unique opportunity to help shape “how we do IT Architecture” at United Therapeutics.
You will serve as a trusted and preferred technology consultant. You will collaborate to ensure that new technologies brought to bear are well-positioned to function as intended in a performant, secure, supported and seamless manner. You’ll also work alongside our internal teams as a technical approver and facilitator of IT change management activities to ensure that technology changes are well planned and properly executed. You’ll have the opportunity to get lots of face time with a wide range of professionals from virtually every business vertical within United Therapeutics. You’ll have a shot at working to solve problems, analyze and improve processes, and pitch new and exciting ideas.
- Engage directly with both the (internal) IT team and other functional teams throughout UTC - providing guidance, direction, and assisting with rationalization of approach to ensure the success of technology initiatives large and small and maximize the value of UTC technology investments through continued technology adoption and re-use.
- Maintain a keen awareness of leading and emerging technologies - particularly those relevant to UTC business operations. This includes Software as a Service (SaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) vendors, in addition to relevant physical infrastructure and Internet of Things (IoT) providers from which UTC may likely procure technology assets or services.
- Represent the technology interests of UTC and contribute to project success by directly engaging with non-technical UTC stakeholders and project teams to provide guidance and technical assistance as needed for business projects with significant technology risk and impact.
- Serve as a knowledgeable authority on Technology Systems owned and operated by UTC and their current functional uses and capabilities.
- Contribute to the creation and maintenance of a technology inventory of record to aid UTC staff in quickly identifying available technologies and related information.
- Monitor technology sentiment, obsolescence, and cost of ownership, and provide guidance to system owners regarding technology optimization, transformation, or retirement.
- Minimize technology sprawl through facilitating technology re-use and consolidation where possible.
- Review Contracts, Statements of Work, and other binding agreements that commit UTC to the acquisition / procurement and or utilization of technology or technology service providers.
- Ensure that UTC financial, security, and operational interests are well understood and protected, and that systems and vendors selected are well positioned to be successful in the UT Technology landscape.
- Create and maintain technology governance documentation such as technology screening questionnaires, approved reference architectures, system architecture reviews, system design specifications.
- Provide direct oversight over technology purchasing; evaluate and socialize technology risks to business stakeholders, IT SRC, and Organizational Risk Management to ensure that technology risks and impacts are understood and mitigated, transferred, or avoided to the extent possible.
- Actively maintain meaningful relationships with UTC strategic technology partners to ensure that UTC is well informed of: new technology capabilities, technology risks and deprecation, technology changes and impacts.
- Ensure that UTC interests are actively represented to strategic partners and seek to increase partner engagement and interest in UTC operations such that UTC achieves a higher degree of urgency and attention when support or other resources are needed.
- Regularly engage with business and technical stakeholders to conceptually define business processes and determine how they align to existing technology systems or needed technology solutions.
- Seek to guide business and technical teams to utilize existing or new technology to streamline business processes and increase automation.
- Assist both internal IT and other UT business units with evaluation of new and existing technologies where multiple options are being considered for implementation or change to accommodate business requirements.
- Regularly meet with both internal IT and other UTC business units to discuss and derive requirements for custom tooling and custom technology solutions (applications or systems) to meet UTC operational needs, increase process efficiency, or deliver net-new business capabilities or functions.
- Translate requirements into solution architecture and provide build and deployment guidance to software developers and infrastructure engineers.
- Facilitate the design of integrations between technology systems to enable data sharing, process automation, or additional functionality.
- Discuss and derive integration requirements with UTC business or IT stakeholders and provide recommended integration architecture to integration engineers and software developers. Assist in the development of Source Target Mapping (STM), Integration Data Model (IDM) as needed.
- Assist non-technical UTC business units with identifying and evaluating technology partners appropriates suited to executing UTC technology projects or related implementations. Engage in direct discussions with potential vendors and provide screening and evaluation of vendor responses and materials to ensure ability to execute and reduce related risk.
- Partner with UT business stakeholders to transform manual data manipulation, analysis, and reporting by understanding and interpreting data analysis needs and providing appropriate platforms and services to enhance data analysis and reporting capabilities.
- Translate business reporting requirements into solution architecture and provide guidance to developers, data architects, and serve as a liaison to the UT Global Data Operations (GDO) and other data centric groups at UTC.
- Provide general technical guidance to UTC personnel both in Internal IT and other functional departments, ensuring that both tactical and strategic technology decisions and activities in question are executed in alignment with UTC technology preferences, capabilities, and standards.
- Facilitate the design of scalable, supportable systems through selective implementation of technology stacks that can readily be supported by a wide ecosystem of service providers, as well as technically skilled UTC staff.
- Ensure that new technologies released to production are well understood, documented, and socialized within internal IT and other business units so that they may be readily supported in the event of technical issues that pose risk to related UTC business processes.
- Execute the deployment of SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS services and resources to facilitate technical proof of concept and pilot programs for new applications, systems, services, tooling, and novel problem solving approaches. This may include deploying web applications, cloud services, cloud infrastructure, or even physical devices in a limited capacity, or deploying new systems and services into a pre-production state.
- Monitor the active utilization, system version, and obsolescence of technologies in the UTC technology portfolio and aid business and IT stakeholders in pre-emptively planning for system upgrades, changes, and retirement through regular discussion with strategic technology partners, system owners, and the IT team.
- Mitigate unanticipated budget, schedule, and resource impacts due to unforeseen system supportability, compatibility, or security issues resulting from technology becoming dated or falling multiple versions behind the appropriate vendor supported release.
For this role you will need
- Bachelor’s Degree in Arts/Sciences (BA/BS) in Computer Information Systems, Business Administration, Computer Science, or related field
- 5+ years of experience in an Information Technology engineering role with a Bachelor's degree or
- 3+ years of experience in an Information Technology engineering role with a Master's degree
- 4+ years of experience with common TCP/IP network technologies
- 3+ years of experience with information security concepts and related technologies
- 2+ years of experience with designing, deploying, managing / maintaining Cloud based technologies and services
- 2+ years of experience with Public Cloud Software, Platform, or Infrastructure as a Service offerings including identity, storage, compute, web server, relational database
- 2+ years of experience in a ‘customer facing’ consultative role
- Experience with Microsoft Azure cloud technologies
- Experience in a Microsoft computing environment with Windows Operating Systems and related technologies: Microsoft Active Directory, SQL Server, IIS, Exchange
- Experience managing and operating at least one common relational database technology - preferably Microsoft SQL (infrastructure, not writing SQL code)
- Experience with utilizing at least one automation and scripting language such as Microsoft PowerShell to automate otherwise manual processes
- Experience with at least one common webserver technology such as IIS, or Apache
- Experience with Office 365 (now M365) Administration & Management
- Familiarity with SaaS Identity Provider (IdP) systems such as OKTA, OneLogin, Ping Federate, or Azure Active Directory for purposes of implementing Single-Sign-On (SSO) for applications
- Basic experience with long-running capital projects requiring collaboration across multiple business-units and or third-party vendors / consultants
- Experience with virtualization technologies such as VMWare or Microsoft Hyper-V
- Experience with network device configuration and management to the extent that device roles and capabilities are well understood for routers, switches, load balancers, firewalls
- Experience with Hyper-Converged Infrastructure such as Nutanix, HPE SimpliVity, Cisco Hyperflex
- Experience in researching, understanding, evaluating, and selecting technology solutions to meet a given set of requirements
- Ability to learn, remember details, and then learn and remember some more
- Excellent verbal, non-verbal, and written communication skills
- Keen eye for detail, especially when reading through documentation or reviewing deliverables, quotes, and statements of work
- Master’s degree (MA/MS/MBA) in Computer Information Systems, Business Administration, Computer Science, or related field
At United Therapeutics, you’ll realize quickly that it is not an ordinary place to work! When you join our company, you will learn, grow, contribute, have fun, and be challenged... all while making a difference in the lives of our patients.
While United Therapeutics does not require vaccination for Covid-19 at this time, we strongly encourage all employees and visitors to remain up to date on vaccinations and boosters to protect one another from illness. Employees working in customer-facing roles must adhere and comply with customers’ credentialing guidelines, which may require vaccination against Covid -19, the influenza virus, and other illnesses that could be harmful to healthcare staff and patients.
United Therapeutics Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - EOE Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities