Vir Biotechnology is a commercial-stage immunology company focused on combining immunologic insights with cutting-edge technologies to treat and prevent serious infectious diseases. Vir has assembled four technology platforms that are designed to stimulate and enhance the immune system by exploiting critical observations of natural immune processes. Its current development pipeline consists of product candidates targeting COVID-19, hepatitis B virus, influenza A and human immunodeficiency virus. For more information, please visit www.vir.bio .
We believe the success of our colleagues drives the success of our Mission. We have an ongoing commitment to creating a company passionate about equality, inclusion, and respect. When everyone feels supported and encouraged to give at their best, we will collectively deliver outstanding results.
Vir's IT Department supports staff based in offices and laboratories in the US and Switzerland as well as remote employees. Vir's IT architecture is cloud-first, leveraging a set of integrated SaaS applications to provide a digital workplace for Vir staff.
We are seeking an experienced IT leader with technical skills and a scientific background for the Associate Director, Research IT position reporting to Sr. Director, Research IT. You will help IT build a true partnership with Research in St. Louis as well as the global Research organization. You will seek to understand the scientific research, identify the technology needs, and work with internal teams and external vendors to deliver technology solutions with an agile mindset and approach.
Location: St. Louis, MO
RESPONSIBILITIES AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES:
- Act as the site IT head for the St. Louis site. Partner with St. Louis Research leadership team, sponsors, and other key stakeholders including laboratory personnel to understand their business requirements, set priorities, support business-critical projects, and identify/implement "best fit" technology solutions to help drive business efficiency and quality.
- Contribute to Research IT projects at other Vir sites (e.g. vendor assessment, project initiation, systems implementation, support and critical issues). Work across Vir sites to implement global IT solutions.
- Ensure day-to-day operations of the business are well supported, promote overall IT services and capabilities, and improve relationships with business partners.
- Lead IT evaluation of vendor solutions, develop alternatives, and recommend technical solutions.
- Ensure successful rollouts of new capability and solutions through appropriate testing, communication, and training.
- Collaborate closely with other IT groups (infrastructure, helpdesk, Information Security, applications, project management) and Data Science on the overall IT solution and services delivery.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA/BS required and a minimum of 12 years (or 10 years with MS or 7 years with PhD).
- Hands-on experience supporting IT capabilities and applications in a life science laboratory environment; experience within the R&D divisions of companies.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience managing IT teams and/or projects.
- Familiarity with scientific instruments and general understanding of their functionality, and ability to communicate IT concepts to non-IT scientific staff
- Experience in implementing and supporting information systems for laboratory operations including ELN, LIMS, and SDMS as well as AWS a strong plus
- Self-starter with strong task management and communication skills, able to operate effectively in Vir's dynamic, growing, and fast-paced environment
- Open to providing relocation assistance
Vir's compensation and benefits are aligned with the current market and commensurate with the person's experience and qualifications. All full-time employees receive a package that includes: compensation, bonus and equity as well as many other Vir benefits and perks such as: health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance benefits, non-accrual paid time off, company shut down for holidays, commuter benefits, child care reimbursement, education reimbursement, 401K match and lunch for all lab essential personnel!
Vir is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform critical job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact Human Resources to request accommodation.
Vir Human Resources leads recruitment and employment for Vir. Unsolicited resumes sent to Vir from recruiters do not constitute any type of relationship between the recruiter and Vir and do not obligate Vir to pay fees should we hire from those resumes. We ask that external recruiters and/or agencies not contact or present candidates directly to our hiring manager or employees.