Full-Time. No on-call hours are required. Slight changes to the work hours may occur.
Assist Lead Technician in the day to day operations of the clinic and the work of the Polysomnographic technicians. Responsible for assisting Lead Technician in the management of support staff and ordering and maintaining supplies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides surgical patient care activities.
- Transports patients, and related records to and from the OR and recovery room.
- Helps with routing medical materiel management activities.
- Accomplishes routine safety checks and operator preventive maintenance on fixed and moveable medical equipment and fixtures.
- Performs routine and specialized housekeeping activities.
- Assists anesthesia personnel with patient positioning and anesthesia administration.
- Applies principles of asepsis, infection control, and medical ethics.
- Assists with terminal cleanup of OR and prepares for follow-up procedures.
- Receives, decontaminates, and cleans soiled patient care items.
- Assembles, wraps, and sterilizes instrument sets, supplies, and linen packs. Stores, maintains, and distributes sterile patient care items.
- Assists the circulating nurse with preparing records, reports, and requests. Prepares specimens for transport to the laboratory.
- Performs scrub duties in the Operating Room. Scrubs hands and arms and dons sterile gown and gloves. Prepares and maintains sterile instruments, supplies, and equipment of draped tables and stands. Counts sponges, needles, instruments, and related items with circulating nurse before, during, and after surgical procedures. Assists the operative team with applying sterile drapes to the surgical field. Passes instruments, sutures, and other supplies to the sterile operative team. Anticipates surgeon’s needs, and provides additional assistance as directed. Cares for surgical specimens on the sterile field. Cleans and prepares instruments and reusable supplies for terminal sterilization and decontamination.
- Performs recovery room or basic nursing duties. Assists surgeon and nursing staff with monitoring and recording vital signs. Administers oxygen, helps arouse patient, and carries out surgeon’s post-operative orders. Assists with identifying and managing of postoperative complications.
- Performs general clinic functions. Prepares patients, instruments, supplies, and equipment for specialized procedures in the OR and specialty clinics. Assists specialty surgeon during surgical and diagnostic procedures. Assembles, operates, and maintains diagnostic and therapeutic equipment. Orders diagnostic laboratory and radiographic procedures as directed. Performs activities unique to specific surgical clinics.
- Assists nursing staff with preoperative patient preparation activities.
- Attends in-service training in new procedures, techniques, and equipment.
- Prepares OR for surgery by setting up and opening sterile supplies and instruments.
- Maintains regular and punctual attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Position consists of sitting for long periods of time, using hands/fingers, handling, reaching with hands and arms, speaking or translating. Periods of walking, standing, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, and lifting boxes weighing up to 30 pounds. Moderate to extended periods of office work with heavy periods of computer usage. May be assigned occasional to moderate periods of analytical tasks requiring extensive reasoning abilities. It is Katmai’s business philosophy and practice to provide reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities.
Work is performed primarily indoors at a well-lit military treatment facility such as a clinic, outpatient facility or hospital. The environment is normally air conditioned, but conditions may change dependent upon circumstances. Work may need to be performed in a fast-paced environment requiring quick thinking and rapid judgements. Employee will be exposed to a wide variety of clients in differing functions, personalities and abilities. Exposure to bloodborne pathogens and bodily fluids, latex, radiation or other contaminants and safety issues. May be exposed to infection or diseases from contact with patients. Work is highly social with patients and can be stressful with a high emotional element. Decisions made may substantially impact patients and their families.
JOB REQUIREMENTS *
- Must be knowledgeable in fundamentals of anatomy and physiology; principles of asepsis and sterile techniques; preparing and storing surgical sets and packs, surgical instrumentation, and equipment; OR and anesthesia procedures; pathology as it applies to specimen care and handling; basic microbiology and infection control principles; basic surgical pharmacology; sterilizing and disinfecting procedures; surgical and anesthesia complications and their treatment; hospital and OR environmental hazards and safety procedures; handling and storage of compressed gases; basic medical material procedures; basic medical administrations procedures; legal aspects of preoperative care and medical ethics; roles and qualifications of surgical team members; and basic clinical functions.
- Completion of an accredited surgical service and clinical course.
- Completion of a surgical technologist program recognized and accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
- Have at least 12 months of experience within the last 36 months as a surgical services technician.
- Must have and maintain current certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) from the American Red Cross. This certificate must be current at all times.
- Must obtain and maintain the site's required health screening and immunization requirements.
- Must obtain and maintain any necessary security access and/or background checks.
- Must obtain and maintain all required documents, certifications, licenses, etc. listed on the credentialling checklist, sent by Katmai’s Credentialing Specialist, for this position for initial hire.
- Must have or be able to attain a valid state driver’s license and be insurable on the company’s automobile insurance policy.
- Ability to effectively read, write and speak English in order to communicate with all patients and other healthcare providers.
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a diverse group of people for the purpose of informing the healthcare team of plans/actions, for teaching/education to benefit the patient/family and organization.
- Excellent written communication skills to perform accurate documentation, both written and electronic, of all activity in accordance with requirements.
CSS Compensation and Benefits package:
- Pay Range: $22.58- $28.75 per hour based on experience
- Shift differentials: $2 nights, $5 on call
- SCA Health and Welfare: $4.22/hr paid toward employee only medical insurance. Any remainder paid in cash on bi-weekly paycheck.
- Eligible Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Long and short term disability, 401k, EAP
- Vacation, Sick time and Holiday pay per the wage determination