Performs any combination of tasks before, during, and after surgery to assist the surgical team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Places equipment and supplies in operating room and arranges instruments, according to instructions.
2. Assists team members to place and position patient on table.
3. Scrubs arms and hands and dons gown and gloves.
4. Aids team to don gowns and gloves.
5. Maintains supply of fluids, such as plasma, saline, blood, and glucose for use during operation.
6. Hands instruments and supplies to surgeon, holds retractors, cuts sutures, and performs other tasks as
directed by the surgeon during operation.
7. Puts dressings on patient following surgery.
8. Counts sponges, needles, and instruments before and after operation.
9. Washes and sterilizes equipment, using germicides and sterilizers.
10. Cleans operating room.
1. High School diploma or its equivalent.
2. Graduated from an accredited Surgical Technologist training program with subsequent certification in
3. Current CPR card.
4. Current PPD or Chest X-Ray.
5. Current Health Certificate (if applicable)
6. One year experience preferred as a Surgical Technician within the last 2 years preferred.
Physical/Work Environment Requirements:
• May work at off-site facility/ client site
• May be exposed to blood-borne pathogens, chemotherapeutic and toxic chemicals