This dynamic and impactful role will assist Product Managers in Discovery, Preclinical and Early Development (DPED) IT with executing strategy for a high-impact cross functional scientific data platform. The successful candidate will contribute to a high-visibility project with the ability to impact how our Company’s lab-based research is conducted, and to help accelerate bringing our innovative drugs to patients.
This is an opportunity for candidates with previous data analytics and data governance experience, particularly those with an interest or experience in software development to take their first step into product management. As such, applicants should have some familiarity with ingestion patterns, data transformation, metadata management, storage, security, SQL and NoSQL technologies. The ideal candidate is comfortable collaborating with all levels of scientific and DPED IT staff to analyze and distill scientific data usage and workflows to generate optimal technical requirements. These products will be adopted as new solutions by data scientists, data analysts and scientists targeted for each release. The ideal candidate will have data analytics and data governance background, show a high command of soft business skills and collaboration and empathizing with our end user needs. They will be a passionate advocate for our end users’ perspectives through all phases of product development.
While this position will be based in North America, travel to other sites may be required at times (estimated no more than 20% of the time).
The primary responsibility of this role is to develop innovative data analytics and governance capabilities that meet the business requirements and quality expectations of DPED.
- Conduct and distill user interviews, and work with support teams to identify problems and document them, synthesizing this with data, observations, and other research into insights to inform product strategy and decisions. Conduct data analysis, author requirements.
- Responsible for the technical design artifacts associated to data analytics and governance platform delivery –design documents, functional requirements, non-functional requirements, test use cases etc.
- Communicate functional requirements and design artifacts to and work closely with the development teams to ensure accurate understanding and implementation
- Provide support to design, construction and testing phases of the project(s) to ensure high quality delivery across the teams
- Assist with the user adoption and change management activities during inception, UAT and post implementation phases;
- Develop good understanding of DPED data and business objectives to support teams in delivering high quality outcomes
- Technical skills to work hands on with data using tool sets across existing and emerging technologies
- Contributes as part of a cross-functional team to the delivery of product releases against a prioritized set of requirements.
- Become fully conversant with DPED systems development life cycle methodology and understand relevant regulatory and compliance needs
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant technical or scientific discipline (such as Computer Science, life sciences, informatics, genomics, statistics/biostatistics) or equivalent education and/or experience.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Experience working with data and data analytics tools.
- Familiarity and understanding of all aspects of the data ecosystem, spanning from data governance, data ingestion, data transformation, data integration, data quality to consumption of data.
- Ability in SQL, Excel and other BI tools for data analysis.
- Ability to quickly grasp new technological and scientific concepts
- Familiarity with Cloud-based software and terms.
- A demonstrated ability to demonstrate curiosity and flexible thinking to get to the underlying issue and define the problem.
- Ability to demonstrate analytical problem-solving skills and the ability to work with varying levels of ambiguity across multiple projects concurrently.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills and the ability to interact with both technical and non-technical stakeholders and users.
- Ability to prepare for, support, facilitate workshops with vendors and internal users.
- Ability to deliver presentations and/or training; comfortable working in a team of multidisciplinary scientists and IT personnel and operate effectively in a matrix environment; team player yet able to work independently.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Demonstrable knowledge of problems facing scientists working in a drug discovery lab is a strong plus.
- Experience working collaboratively with vendors to address business problems is highly valued.
- Previous experience within the biotech or pharmaceutical industry is preferred but not essential.
- Experience with laboratory data management systems.
- Experience with collaborative software tools such as JIRA, Confluence or Wrike would be a benefit.
- A demonstrated basic understanding of drug discovery process, scientific data workflows and methods.
- An understanding of the Product Life Cycle of software products and a familiarity with agile software development processes are also preferred.
- Familiarity with SDLC documentation and GxP processes.
Our Support Functions deliver services and makes recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the experience of working at our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: