The Operations Consultant III is the facilitator and project manager accountable for the successful planning, scheduling and completion of many operations improvement projects. Facilitates and directs the work activities for staff members and students. Drives the adoption of Lean Management Systems (LMS) and process improvements on a division level to deliver significant operational improvement, financial benefit and enhanced patient satisfaction. Steward the progress and deliverables as liaison between site operations, site senior management and director of Lean Operations Support. Give oversight of Operational Consultant I and Operational Consultant II project work. Work alone with ownership and accountability for regions and sites.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE ROLE
- Develops communication and continuous improvement training plans for internal staff and external customers.
- Give formal approval for project work performed by Operations Excellence Consultant I and Operations Excellence Consultant IIs. Give coaching to OE Consultant I and OE Consultant II's.
- Mentors and coaches leaders at all levels to drive lean thinking into all aspects of operations. Becomes a key leader in the continuous improvement efforts and is seen as a leader in Lean principles applied to healthcare.
- Expected to coach and frequently present to Chief and VP-level leaders.
- Teaches, leads, demonstrates and helps assigned leaders build Lean Management Systems, (LMS) including tracking and auditing. Functions as a change agent, using training, Gemba walks and coaching, to build best-practices and standards around Lean Management Systems at assigned sites.
- Expected to help Chief and VP-level leaders build LMS and conduct Gemba walks. Oversees the Site Directors' efforts to build LMS at their hospitals.
- Participates in performance improvement teams and give facilitation and technical help to help the teams including collection and testing of data and documentation of results.
- Provides facilitation and/or guidance to redesign teams.
- May also serve as team leader or executive coach for process improvement and problem solving teams. Handles project escalations from the OE I and OE II's if projects are struggling.
- Handles project escalations from the OE Consultant I and OE Consultant II's.
- Teaches all Operations Excellence and continuous improvement courses including LMS, coaching students to complete their course deliverables.
- Helps develop educational curriculum to train people on the use of specific process improvement and quality management tools and techniques.
- May help in conducting more sessions in help of the management development program of the sites.
- Acts as project leader, coordinating and facilitating the work of a project team and providing technical help, including collection and analysis of data and documentation of results.
- Develops project approaches and prepares detailed work plans for the successful and timely completion of projects.
- Conducts research and other preparatory activity before initiation of projects to ensure best approaches and solutions to problems. Reviews and coordinates team member work plans. Informs manager of project status.
- Provides decision support to administration, department directors, and managers to help planning and operational decisions. Optimize and improve reports by establishing the customer's needs and by collecting, organizing, and understanding data.
- Utilizes and maintains various data applications including spreadsheet, database, report writer, graphic, and statistic packages.
- Helps in testing and lean layout workshops for facility needs to include workflow study, space programming and functional layout design. May apply simulation technology to the process.
- Utilizes a systems approach to conduct operational analyses of organizational or departmental systems and processes, applying various industrial engineering techniques.
- This includes deployment of advanced lean tools (cells, flow, pull, error proofing) and workload stabilizing.
- Consults with management and/or team to design and implement operational improvement strategies and monitors effectiveness.
- Maintains regular communication with administration to identify and plan for upcoming organizational changes impacting operation efficiency.
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS
- Demonstrated self-direction and results orientation.
- Excellent data and problem solving skills applying advanced techniques.
- Expertise in lean, process and operations improvement; exceptional facilitator, able to teach many styles of continuous improvement courses and applications.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to conduct professional presentations for executive level audiences.
- Ability to prioritize, plan and execute.
- Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets, power point, and graphic presentation software.
- Politically sensitive to the dynamic interplay that occurs between systems and sites.
- Critical Thinking and Data Skills.
- Willing to travel 20-60% of the time (Local travel).
Our competitive benefits package includes the following
- Immediate eligibility for health and welfare benefits
- 401(k) savings plan with dollar-for-dollar match up to 5%
- Tuition Reimbursement
- PTO accrual beginning Day 1
Note: Benefits may vary based on position type and/or level
- EDUCATION - Bachelor's or 4 years of work experience above the minimum qualification
- EXPERIENCE - 8 Years of Experience