Our Field Sales Development Representatives interact face to face with our customers, understand their needs and consult to offer the right solutions. We work collaboratively in Field Sales Teams and play a critical role in supporting our customer centric business model.
The Field Sales Development Representative is a member of the Inside Sales team and will focus on selling companion animal products within an assigned territory that is vacant. The Field Sales Development Representative will temporarily reside in the vacant territory and move from territory to territory as needed. This representative is responsible for working with the Regional Manager that has quota responsibility for the vacant territory to understand and identify veterinary clinic and corporate account customer needs by selling our Company's Animal Health products, helping pull-through activities relative to the customer strategy, and ensuring that our Company is viewed as bringing value and technical innovations aligned to our strategic focus, the Science of Healthier Animals.
In addition, the Field Sales Development Representative demonstrates the highest level of competency and thoroughly understands the resources available across our Company and our Distribution Partners. Performance will be measured on sales goal achievement, as well as targeted promotions and other performance standards consistent with operating objectives. Top-performing Field Sales Development Representatives may be offered growth opportunities to transition to US field-based sales roles in the future which will likely require relocation.
Travel requirements will vary nationally based on business need, up to 75%.
- Ability to quickly build rapport with key customers, including distribution partners, to have an immediate impact covering vacancy.
- Communicates product details in a way that's meaningful and relevant to each individual customer; customizes discussions and client interactions based on understanding of customer's needs
- Primary point of contact for assigned customers, set up calls with key personnel/decision makers to comprehend practice structure, business model, key influencers (Owner/Practice Manager/Key Tech/Associate Vet), customer needs and identifies business opportunities.
- Develop customer strategy - outlining strategy for interaction, relationship, solutions, partner involvement and potential offerings for customer resulting in sales opportunities and account sales growth of our Company's Animal Health Companion Animal products and services.
- Develop territory and specific account plans for all key customers. Partners with National Account Managers, Corporate Account Team, and Distribution Partners to maintain strong focus on key accounts and corporate owned clinics to drive occupancy and sales growth.
- Shares learning and best-practices from one customer to help other customers meet their needs. Contributes with other team members within the Inside Sales Department to foster growth and development within the team.
- Analyze sales results on a monthly basis and manage expenses within budget guidelines.
- Identifies and selects programs/services available within our Company's Animal Health available resources to address customer needs and provide education & training opportunities to accounts.
- Works with Manager, Marketing, Commercial Operations or Professional Services Veterinarian to develop and deliver relevant offerings that address desired customer needs
- Maintain current understanding of our Company's Animal Health products, industry trends, competitor landscape, business model, key influencers/ network structure and make information available to relevant stakeholders and to influence sales trends.
- Able to articulate and communicate relevant customer, industry, product, and market trends appropriately through the organization.
Background & Education:
- 4-year college degree or equivalent
- Excellent interpersonal communications and presentation skills.
- Successful candidate must be flexible and have the ability to adapt to a changing environment
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Documented sales experience.
- Experience selling animal healthcare products and services through veterinary and/or shelter channel is preferred.
- Knowledge of biological products and the ability to engage in dialogue with medical professionals is a plus.
- Understanding the role of a distribution partner and/or past experience working with distribution.
- Ability to relocate for career growth.
Our Animal Health Division is a trusted global leader in veterinary medicine, dedicated to preserving and improving health, well-being, and performance of animals and the people who care for them. We are a global team of professionals working together to make a positive difference in animal care and the world's food supply and have a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and our planet.
Through our commitment to The Science of Healthier Animals®, we offer veterinarians, farmers, pet owners and governments one of the widest ranges of veterinary pharmaceuticals, vaccines and health management solutions and services as well as an extensive suite of digitally connected identification, traceability and monitoring products. We invest in dynamic and comprehensive R&D resources and a modern, global supply chain. We are present in more than 50 countries, while our products are available in some 150 markets.
Who we are ...
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for ...
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us-and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Residents of Colorado
Click here to request this role's pay range.
For positions located in the United States and Puerto Rico - Subject to applicable law, all new hires (including internal transfers) must demonstrate that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or that they qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement. New hires (including internal transfers) to a position that, as determined by the Company, requires routine collaboration with external stakeholders (such as roles in health services or customer-facing commercial or research-based roles) ("Customer-Facing Role") who are not vaccinated must qualify for a medical or religious exemption and be in a position that the Company determines can accommodate unvaccinated employees without causing an undue burden to business operations. If, following dialog with the candidate as appropriate, it is determined that the candidate either a) does not qualify for a religious or medical exemption or, b) for candidates applying for Customer-Facing roles, it is determined that allowing the candidate to work without vaccination would cause an undue burden to the Company, the candidate will be ineligible for hire or transfer, or any offer of employment or transfer (if applicable) will be revoked. Please note that notwithstanding the approval of any reasonable accommodation, the Company reserves the right to monitor, modify, or revoke any such accommodation if it is determined, following dialog with the employee, that the accommodation is no longer effective or results in an undue burden to the Company.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC Know Your Rights
EEOC GINA Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another's thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Under New York City, Washington State and California State law, the Company is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the salary range for this job. Final determinations with respect to salary will take into account a number of factors, which may include, but not be limited to the primary work location and the chosen candidate's relevant skills, experience, and education.
Expected salary range:
$72,880.00 - $114,600.00
For Washington State Jobs, a summary of benefits is listed here.
Learn more about your rights, including under California, Colorado and other US State Acts
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
1st - Day
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: